1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Best friend

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Kanen, Mar 26, 2011.

1. Kanen

So, about a month ago (wow, has it really been that long) I came out to my friend. Now, this girl is one of the best people in my life - when I was fighting my sexuality, I had myself convinced I was in love with her. That was not the case, it was just a deep friendship. But, back to the story. She took it amazingly, was so proud and supportive of me. I remember right after I told her she gave me a hug. She is an amazing girl, and I love her with all my heart (not romantically, of course). Our friendship has grown so much since then - I can't imagine my life without her. She is my best friend, and will probably (I hope) always be.

But... yeah, I know you were waiting for a but. But, problems are arising. I hang out with her a lot more at school than I use to. Okay, I admit, I follow her around like a lost puppy. There's a reason for it. When I'm with her, I feel as though I can truly be myself, I don't have to wear a mask. I know when I'm with her, I won't be insulted (like I am around my guy friends. It's playful banter, but still, it chips the nerves/self-esteem), won't have to make sure everything I say is "cool". She knows who I am, and I can be real when I'm with her. So I am around her as much as possible.

Which of course has raised suspicion, especially from the asshole guys in my school. They insist that we are dating, or at least that I am in love with her. I've tried to tell them we are just really good friends, but they don't listen. I'm not an attractive guy, and she is one of the most popular girls in school - cheerleader, stunningly beautiful, tons of friends. And when they say stuff like this, everyone thinks it true. The rumors are hurting her. They're making fun of her for it. And all because I am her friend. She tries to shrug it off, but it still mess with her - people in high school are cruel, so imagine what they say.

I've tried to give her space, to not hang around her so much, but it's hard. Like I've mentioned, I can only be myself around her. School is only bearable to me because of her. And she understands that. But still, with the rumors...

Some days, when it's really bad, I have these thoughts that if I just came out, told everyone who I was, then our friendship would no longer be suspicious. Things would be so much easier on her. Yes, all the cruelty would be turned on me, but it would still be off of her, and that's all I care about. The idea of coming out still seems impossible for me, and I've read all over that it's best that I wait till I'm out of high school. I live in Texas - imagine how bad it would be. But then I might be able to do some good in school, teach tolerance, start a GSA. All things I really want to do, but can't because I'm in the closet. I just... don't know what to do. At times, coming out seems the best thing to do, and others, an impossibility, something I just can't grasp.

I'm sorry, this was pretty much me just venting my problem. If you have read all this, thank you. Any advice would be helpful. Any at all.

Thanks
    -Kanen

2. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you need to weigh your options carefully before deciding. You can be the pariah and divert the negativity from your friend. You could possibly even make a lasting difference. If you are going to do any of this, you have to make sure that you are capable of handling something like this and that you have a strong support system should you ever falter a little.
    This is a major dilemma that is considered by many LGBT high schoolers (including me).
    Good luck with whatever you choose!

3. zeratul

zeratul Guest

As long as you protect yourself, whatever is fine.

Sometimes your friend might feel that she really wants to protect you too, at her own cost. Each person has an emotional need to give or take. Let each one be comfortable.

4. Foxywolf

I don't know what you should do. It all depends on how strong you are. I know I would not be nearly brave enough to do that. I think that if you do decide to come out to the whole school then you should first come out to all of your close friends. If you come out to random people before your friends then your friends might feel cheated. And I don't think you should make a open announcement that you are gay if you do decide to come out to everyone. I think you should rather just tell people you are gay when they tease you about your friend being your girlfriend.
    I know how it feels to want to spend so much more time with the people you have come out to. I sometimes feel like I am following my two friends who I came out to like a lost puppydog too. It's just that you feel so much better around them. I know how it feels. Haha but the two people who I came out to are both girls, so I don't have the problem of people thinking that I am dating either one of them. There is only the possibility that they might think I am crushing on one of them (which I am not). But luckily they are both very understanding people and don't think that so that's good.
    Well best of luck to you, but I agree with the above poster, you need to weigh your options carefully before deciding.

5. Flyers2011

You are concerned for you friend, and that's really sweet. You seem like a stand-up guy.

But considering where you live and everything. . . It's risky, I'll admit. You might be persecuted, harassed, etc. But does anyone know it for sure? Maybe people are becoming more accepting? It's hard as hell to tell.

You need to consider your options carefully. Or else there could be severe consequences. I came out in a very public manner to my school. No one ever persecuted me to my face, but let's just say there have been a few incidents and a few people who decided to no longer associate with me.

Maybe you could start by coming out to your family, that way if you do decide to come out at school they can be your safety net? That way if anyone does anything to you, your family knows why and they can pursue charges or something. I don't really know how it would work in Texas, I apologize.

Don't come out till you're ready or it could have really bad effects on you emotionally and everything.

Until you decide about coming out, maybe you could find a way to detract attention from you guys? I mean, it's high school, they'll probably have a new thing to talk about next week. But if the problem persists maybe you guys could hang out more outside of school and not let anyone know? It sounds sneaky, but if you want to get the idiots off of your friends back you may have to do that. It's stupid and not right, but it might be better until the heat dies down.

High school is ridiculous. I'm sure they'll be over this in a matter of days or a week. Just hang in there (*hug*)

6. cardenio

I think it’s very commendable that you feel the need to make your school a more tolerant and accepting place, but that’s something that you can’t do without, as Nazo pointed out, a strong support system in place. You don’t seem to have that at the moment, either at school or at home (you mentioned that you’ve grown up in a deeply religious household). After all, establishing a GSA would probably be your last concern if you end up homeless as a result.

Also, while your friend is incredibly supportive of you in private, there is really no guarantee that she’ll be there for you if you do come out, especially since she came out as bi to you (which you mentioned in your intro post). You write that if you came out then perhaps all of the people’s cruelty would be entirely directed towards you, but that’s not necessarily how things would go. If people think it’s ok to turn against you for being gay, then they would probably also think it’s ok to turn against your friends or any others that would defend you for being true to yourself. In any case, you should definitely not put your best friend in such a position unless you thoroughly discuss the situation and any possible repercussions with her first.

Given that you mention that coming out is pretty much impossible for you as things currently stand, I would hold off on doing so for the moment. From what you’ve written, it seems that what you really need to do is spend time building that support system for when you are ready to come out. Are there any other friends that you’ve come out to or that you would consider coming out to in the near future? That would probably be the best short-term solution so that you can give your best friend some space and also so that you have more people that you feel completely comfortable around.

7. Kanen

Thank you all. I'll take your advice and wait. Hopefully all this will blow over.

8. confusedxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Kanen--

Be careful. Honestly, that's the first thing I can tell you. I have a friend who came out in Texas (he now goes to my college) and was almost killed by his classmates, and kicked out by his family. So be careful, hun. It's not selfish to try and protect your life.
    Secondly, my best friend is a guy, so I know how odd/annoying it is when you insist you aren't dating someone and no one believes you. It makes it harder to meet new people and you also get stigmatized in this weird way. It's a very strange dynamic and I don't quite understand why it arises, but it does.
    I think that you should talk to your friend and think about maybe inventing a relationship for yourself. If people think you're dating someone else, they'll be more likely to accept your friendship with her. Or maybe if she were to date someone, it'd work too.
    It seems like the best thing you can do is talk to her about it. Tell her about how you're feeling and about how you're upset that she's getting sh*t for being a good friend. But... yeah. If I were in your shoes, I'd definitely tell people I was dating someone else. Not sure that's the best advice to give, but it's what I'd do. :slight_smile:

9. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

>I have these thoughts that if I just came out, told everyone who I was, then our friendship would no longer be suspicious. Things would be so much easier on her. Yes, all the cruelty would be turned on me, but it would still be off of her, and that's all I care about.

This is hard my friend, and first of all, your friend is a kind sole, and a wonderful person. She can see the beauty that resides within yourself, and she is not reluctant to offend her popularity to stay true to that.

That said,
    You are considering two options:
    -Come out and save her from cruelty
    -Stay in the closet and save yourself from cruelty.

Either way its going to hurt the two of you. What I would like to propose is a third or fourth option.

-Stay in the closet until it is a safe time for you to come out (post high school ext)
    -Or, slowly come out to more of your (not as close) friends.

Remember that everyone is insecure in High School. People who ridicule, and are harassing have their own shit to deal with. It sounds like you are a very thoughtful person and that is something to be very proud of ok? Consider that if you were to stay in the closet for now then rumors would die down eventually, and people would stop caring.

Bullies have only as much power over yourself as you give them.
    The best of wishes,

10. Ianthe

Wait, why is it bad that people think you like her? Why is that something to make fun of? People liking each other is pretty normal in high school. Having someone like you is not bad. She should just be like, "Yeah, it's because I'm so hot. He's madly in love with me." Preferably while you are standing right there, so you can both laugh.

Straight guys often don't think that guys can be friends with reasonably attractive girls without wanting to "be with" them. (They assume that everyone is straight, as well.) They don't think it's possible for you to like her, without liking her. So, since you obviously think she's awesome, you must want her to be your girlfriend.

Just stop denying it. You won't be able to convince them. Just say, "Yeah, she's the most wonderful girl I've ever met." It's not even a lie, right? If you stop arguing with them, there will be nothing to tease anyone about. It'll just be like, "Yeah, so?"