1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is long distance worth it?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jrnewton2, Mar 28, 2011.

1. jrnewton2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sure the subject has been covered at some point before, but what are your experiences with long distance? Was it worth the trouble?

More specifically, the guy I'm talking to lives about an hour and a half away. Neither of us can drive, so that will obviously be a problem, and public transportation is literally nonexistent in this state. But he's also gorgeous and the nicest guy I've met. We click on a lot of levels, and we've got the best kind of nerd chemistry. I just don't know if it's worth pursuing, but finding anyone closer seems hopeless at this point and he really is too good to be true. I just don't want to always be missing him. :help:

2. Tiny Catastrophe

My ex and I live in different states and we were together for about a year. Neither of us drive either but we made it work. I used to take the train to see her and her dad would drive her out here and we saw each other every other weekend. If you're not out to your parents maybe ask them if they can drive you out to see him on a weekend and tell them you guys are friends and his parents could do the same sometime or maybe you guys can meet somewhere half way. Long distance is a bit hard sometimes but I don't regret it because I was in love and there's always a way to make things work

3. Ben

Ben

It's all about what you both want and whether it works for both of you.

A member of my family had a successful relationship with someone in another country for many years, but ultimately it was the permanent distance that caused them to part (on good terms). If the distance is temporary, then things might be a whole lot different.

I couldn't deal with anything long distance. My boyfriend lives a three minute walk away most of the time, and I wouldn't like him to be any further on a long-term basis. Maybe it's because I'm lazy, maybe it's just because of what I look for in a relationship. But if he were to move away, then of course I'd stay with him.

Either way, I don't think distance should be the ultimate decider. It might suck a bit to have someone you love so far away, but it's much better than having someone you're settling for a bit closer. However, it's totally understandable if it is the deciding factor in not pursuing something. Situations will change soon enough—maybe one of you will learn to drive, maybe you'll move off to college. And things will become a whole lot more clear : D

4. zeratul

zeratul Guest

The only problem is that you are 17 years old and presumably I dont know if there is any plan at all to be together in the future, and also, if you do have that plan, is that plan going to be positive or negative for your own personal career development.

If you are not clingy people and are satisfied with talking to each other via technology all the time and meeting each other occasionally, there is no reason why it should not work to fulfill your happiness. However, if this is not what you are looking for, and the prospect of your own future is at stake, I encourage you to think about it more carefully.

5. cardenio

I think that people should only be in long-distance relationships when they’re already pretty serious/committed and are already starting to build a future together, and not when they’re still trying to figure out whether they’re even compatible. It seems to me that the sort of relationship you can have with this guy, as things currently stand, will leave you unsatisfied and frustrated, especially if any dating prospects come along and you can’t make a move because you’re in this long-distance relationship. I know it seems impossible to you right now that you could ever find anyone else as good as this guy seems, but you did find him, so the odds seem to be on your side.

6. Giorria

Giorria Guest

This ^

My sister was forced into turning her relationship (with her now husband) into a long distance one because of the lack of work in her area and she lived with our parents for that time while working here. There were plenty of pressures during the 3-4 years and they both had to sacrifice alot of things just so they could spend time together.

It takes a massively strong commitment to make these work but the outcome has to be that you and that other person come together eventually, it can't forever be long distance.

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Like Ben said, it really depends on what you want from a relationship and what works for you.

I personally couldn't do it. I want a boyfriend not only to be there for me, but to also enjoy the little things together like going to last-minute plans and meeting each others friends.

I do know that some people make long distance relationships work, but thats a question that you have to answer for yourself. You could try it out, but let him know that you want to try if it works, but that you aren't sure about it all. Doesn't hurt to try and you learn what you like and not like in the process :slight_smile:

8. yeahyeah

yeahyeah Guest

You should try an experience like this. For example my boyfriend lives 3 hours away from here and this works for both of us. Of course there is always the part of desperation (for me for example) when you want to be with him but believe me distance is not a big deal. Relations like this can work. Again, I think you should try :slight_smile:

9. TimeMage

TimeMage Guest

Wait a little until one of you can drive. It'll only be a painful mistake if you guys are in a relationship and you meet at last only to find out that there's nothing really there.

10. Tiny Catastrophe

I should have added this in my post but it totally slipped my mind. Definitely meet and hang out first before you go into a relationship. That's how I did it. You can only get to know someone so much through technology

11. jrnewton2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I definitely wouldn't commit until meeting, which is being (very) tentatively planned for sometime over spring break (next week). I have a friend who offered to drive me down there, but I don't think that could be a regular thing at all. Plus, what if someone else DOES show up out of the blue? Ugh. I dunno.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. Thanks for the advice!

12. roborama

i dont want to be debbie downer but i tried this and it failed miserably. but you need to do whats right for you good luck:slight_smile:

13. RedState

I've been in a couple of long distance relationships.
    They simply don't work in the long run sadly.
    Just being realistic, in the end there is one thing that trumps the individual intentions of a relationship: geography.

14. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have done this as well too. An hour and a half isn't bad when you can both drive. But, proximity is an important part of a relationship. You won't be able to do any spur of the moment things, or see him too often probably, especially with how expensive gas is. You won't be able to see him for short amounts of time, or just because you want to see him. Just get to know him and see if you think it is worth it. If he if willing to do this for years until it's feasible for you two somehow to be closer. Anyways, I personally have not had success with that kind of relationship. There are low odds of it working, but they are there. Give it a shot and meet him if you think he's amazing. But realize what you two will have to go through and make sure he's the type that can. Good luck!