1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hard to talk to my mom about anything lgbt related ._.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Arex, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Arex

She still has no idea that I like guys, I've hardly sent any signals that I know of besides talking to her about lgbt things, but thing about it is every time I bring up the conversation in any situation she either brushes it off or just goes on telling me its unnatural and that God doesn't like it or some bullshit like that.

Shes a Christian (roman catholic but not like panties up the ass or anything), and it is hard to talk to her about anything gay related whether it is supporting them at the local GSA or LGBT community, she basically doesn't want to have anything to do with them and probably does not want to know that I'm into guys myself, so I won't tell her just yet.

Just lookin for some help on how I can get her to accept the fact that we exist, we are around, and hell there's one in her own house maybe in the distant future.

2. KnightAssassin

maybe you should bring up friends who are gay , or get a movie with a gay under theme and act dumb when it happens . Try mentioning things that are more universally know as LGBT , maybe she isn't making the connection or maybe she doesn't want to ...
    You may have sit her down and tell her , people can be oblivious if they want to be without even knowing it .
    GOOD LUCK !

3. Arex

I'm guessing she isn't making the connection at all n_n;

4. KnightAssassin

Well she may or may not , or she may not even be thinking of you like that at all , i doubt mothers think about wether or not their sons or daughters are sexually activve let alone thinking wether or not they are gay so you may have to enlighten her to that idea

5. I don't know where you are on your coming out process, or what you think would happen if you told your mom you're bisexual, but a lot of times (not all the time, but a lot of times) all it takes is finding out you know someone LGBT to realize that they are normal people too and worthy of the same respect as everyone else. Again, I don't know much about your specific situation, but that's a tidbit that can be helpful.

6. straal1972

Prayers for Bobby, is a great movie. Rent it and ask her to watch with you. It shows a mother evolution from "crazy religious nutbar homophobe" to huge PFLAG supporter. If she doesn't want to watch with you, try to impress on her how important this topic is to you. Good luck

7. Just Adam

Movie wise I'd try shelter... Not very subtle lol but great film and very sweet. Its good to show a positive gay film if you want to go that route. Like milk... Great film ... Bit of a downer

8. Flyers2011

I know there are links on this site to PFLAG stuff, which helps parents understand what their kids may be going through and it would certainly enlighten her to the idea that there are gay people in the world.

Do you know anyone that's gay? You could always bring them up. Or you could mention a celebrity (like Ellen or Elton John) who's gay and make some comment about how hard it must have been for them to come out and the great strides they made for the LGBT community.

As for films, Milk is great. I haven't seen a lot of other LGBT films, but Milk kinda has the rights movement and the personal struggle all wrapped into one so it's a good deal if you're trying to give someone an introduction.

Good luck :slight_smile:

9. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    I definitely hear you, my dad is the same way. I kinda just stopped saying anything that might spark him to go and on about it.