1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Want to come out....but how?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Max99, Mar 30, 2011.

1. Max99

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi guys,
    Well, I think I'm ready to come out. But I'm not sure how. Someone please help me!

2. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    Well I'm not sure how old you are, but if your school has a gsa, you could join that and they usually ask what your orientation is.

3. Holmes

Do you have any openly gay friends? Early on when I was coming out, I approached a friend who'd been out for years and said, "I want to ask your advice on something, I'm thinking of coming out." We talked for around ten minutes about it.

Otherwise, focus on talking to your closest friends, talk to one of them to start in a place where you won't be disturbed and when you'll have the time. But don't try to build it up as too big news if you don't want, be as casual as you can about it.

4. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Well we dont really have any information about your home like or social life. If you are in high school, or college for that matter, it might be a good idea to come out to your close friends first, then work your way up to your family. It does happen to get easier each time, and it feels great once you are completely out.

That said, I would perhaps take a friend or two out at a time, for like coffee or something, and just tell them.
    Or if you want to take a less serious approach, play with the idea of being gay with them first, and test their reactions. Once you kind of play with sceneries then it may become clear.
    Either way, if you friends are true to you then they will support you. With your family, things can get sticky, because parents never expect their children to be gay, or are in denial about it, but they will learn to accept it, and hopefully support you.
    Like I said, we dont know your situation. So if it is unsafe for you to come out, and it will risk your safety, then I would hold off on it for now.

Message me if you need some private advise.

5. Max99

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well, my family is very aware that I support gay rights. However, they have no idea that I'm pansexual. I have told one friend, and I'd like to just be out and happy and confident in who I am, but i'm so scared of the reactions. My mom is kinda on the edge of supporting it and not supporting it, but my grandparents hate it. I think many of my friends may be semi-homophobic. My school doesn't have a gsa or anything, infact, there are barely any programs around me that I can go to for help.

My big issue is that I don't know how to go about telling anyone. I don't want to just be like "Hey bob, I wanna tell you something." "Sure Kim." "I'm pansexual." "Oh okay"

6. Ianthe

With people who you are pretty sure will be accepting, that would probably be fine. You have started with one person, which is good. You want to start with some people who you think will support you so that you can build a support system for when you come out to important people who might react badly. What happened when you came out to your friend?

With people who you are worried about, you will probably want to put more thought into it. There are several resources for you to look at here on EC. If you haven't already, check out all of the coming out things on the Empty Closets Resources page. There are also some helpful things linked to in the Support and Advice Resources sticky in the Support and Advice forum.

Here are links to a couple PFLAG documents that you might find useful:

Be Yourself: Questions & Answers for Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual & Transgender Youth

Our Daughters & Sons: Questions & Answers for Parents of Gay, Lesbian & Bisexual People

And here's the PFLAG website.

So, that will help you with general information and support about coming out. When there are specific people you want to come out to, you can always post a thread here with the details about the specific circumstances, and we can help you decide what to do. :icon_bigg

7. Max99

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you so much, that was great information :slight_smile:

8. Jonamo

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    that's always a good step (it really helped me for who i've come out to). The big thing to remind people is that you are still the same person you were before you told anyone.

9. Ianthe

No problem. :thumbsup: