1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I HATE school...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by mrbigshot, Apr 1, 2011.

1. mrbigshot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I can't stand being a college student. I'm not sure what is worse, be it the arrogant, pretentious professors... or the intolerant bigoted students? I can't believe I ever even considered coming out to some of these kids here. I have recently come to see their true colors, hearing my "friends" speak hompophobically, racistly, anti semitically, you name it. I don't even have the courage to say anything when I hear them speak this way, as they all seem to just laugh and act like bigotry is just one big joke. Quite frankly, the people here just suck. No one gets me like my friends from home and family do, and I just feign interest in anything these kids say because all they ever talk about is girls or geting drunk. I really just want to drop out, because I don't really see the value in staying here to learn from professors whom I have little respect for anyways. My grades are good, but that 's because I cater to what I know the professors want, while suppressing what I actually want to write or say. They're all so fucking transparent. I know that not having a college degree closes a lot of doors, but I'm not sure I can put up with this for three more years.

2. cardenio

I'm so sorry that you have to study in such a bigoted environment. I can say that your college experience so far in no way resembles that of most people, including mine. Since you say that your grades are good, have you considered transferring to a better institution? Btw, by better I don't necessarily mean more prestigious.

3. Tym Misery

Tym Misery Guest

Wow and at my school, they told us. College is a more open minded place, were all your dreams come true (Well I added that dreams come true part but still it was basically what they sounded like >.<").

4. Kidd

Kidd Guest

You can always look at another school since you said your grades are good. Unlike high school, you have options now. Go to a school that makes you happy if this one isn't it.

5. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're really unhappy with where you chose to go to college the good thing is you can change it and go somewhere else. If you say your friends and family get you a lot more at home, maybe consider going to a college around home? Just a thought.

6. Mogget

Adding my vote to the recommendations of transferring. Most colleges are not like yours.

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I'm sorry that you are finding yourself in the environment that you have described. As others have said, transferring to another college is your best option.

Don't give up on college because of the bad experiences, which you are having at the moment. Don't allow this experience to have such an effect on. Instead, use it towards looking into/gathering information on other colleges. Perhaps call them and ask as to what the requirements are for transferring and what you would need to do.

8. confusedxx

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    You need to transfer and get out of that toxic environment.
    I LOVE college. My friends have been super supportive of me and it's been a really great place to find myself. It kills me that it hasn't been the same for you! You need to find somewhere better. Look at liberal arts schools with large Queer communities for a social environment, and colleges that emphasize learning over grades (talk to students) to solve your academic problems. Really, though, get out of there before you drive yourself mad.

9. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    Hopefully, when I go to college, it won't be like that for me. I'm sorry you've got to deal with that. Just remember, there are plenty of other schools you could go to rather than stay where you are or drop out.

10. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Like everyone else has said, you DO have multiple options here.

You can either transfer to another uni, change the group of friends you are hanging out with, choose your professor wisely etc.

Does your uni have any type of LGBT group? Maybe a diversity group?

All I can say is that you can't let people tell you if you can be happy or not. You want an education. You want a better environment. Go get it! Make it happen :slight_smile: Yes, its tough but it is so worth it.

Keep yourself strong :slight_smile:

11. darkestknight

I don't think any colleges have those annoying and pretentious professors. If they have, it's only a few of them and that doesn't represent the whole population of academicians in the college.

Have you thought of moving to another college?

12. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

I agree with everyone here about transfering.

More and more colleges are very accepting of LGBT people. I'm actually making sure that the colleges I'm considering now are LGBT friendly. It's tough to tell sometimes.

If your parents know, maybe they'd understand and would support your decision. If they don't konw, perhaps you should either tell them or start thinking of other excuses to transfer.