1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I think I have a stalker

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mogget, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Mogget

So, I'm on an online dating site, and a guy I'd talked to a few times somehow found out where I used to work. I hadn't given him my real name or e-mail, my fb doesn't have my work history, so I have no idea how he found out. It's not a common enough place that he could've just guessed it. Anyway, I'm freaking out. I blocked him, but not sure what else to do. HELP!

2. TraceElement

Check with the local police about stalking laws, that way you are informed of your rights, and what this guy can and can not do according to the law. I would reccomend writing down when you see this person, what the person did, and thetime and date. I do not know how you and this guy talked, but if you print out a copy of the emails (if thats what you did) or write down the approximate time you talked on the phone and generic topics talked about. This way, should you need to get a restraining order or press charges, you will have everything on paper.

3. Mogget

I doubt he's done anything illegal yet, just somehow traced my IP or something probably. My name's probably still on my old workplace's website, so if he found my name out somehow, he could've googled it, I guess. But thanks for the advice.

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! I think it is good that you have blocked him.

It is possible that through fb he could have found out your real name and googled it. If he knows were you live (which state for example), your first name, and a couple of other bits of information, it might be enough to find you on fb. The other thing you might want to consider (and I don't know if that applies) is to have different profile pics for the dating site and fb (added protection).

You might also want to check your old company's website. If your name still appears on there, ask them to remove it.

Just be careful when you are on dating sites. If he starts messaging you or you find he sends you inappropriate messages, report him to the dating site admins or owners of the dating site.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Usually these people are more clueless than actually menacing. So often directly addressing the issue will make it go away. By that, I mean, sending him a polite email saying something like
    My experience is, as long as you're firm and they know you know how to take action if something happens, they'll slither off and go bother someone else :slight_smile:

6. Mogget

Thanks Chip. Sent him your suggestion verbatim. Hope you don't mind.