1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Challenging homophobia in schools

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Maddy, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Today I went to the first meeting of a group that's planning and putting together a resource book about homophobia in schools and what students can do to challenge it. We're planning to put in information on the benefits and difficulties of various ways of standing up to homophobia, like starting a GSA, making more queer-related resources available, taking part in Day of Silence, that kind of thing.

This will be aimed towards high schoolers who've seen homophobia in their schools and want to do something about it, gay or straight. So I thought I'd get some opinions from you guys - what would you want to see in a publication like this?

2. haelmarie

I don't know about high schoolers, but teachers could definitely do a better job at calling kids out when they hear the word "gay" being used in a derogatory fashion.

3. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    how about mentioning the "thats so gay" phrase, it really is a message that being gay is somehow wrong, I think it would matter

4. Kerze

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re-inforce that it is not a choice to be gay, bi or trans any more than it is a choice to be straight.

#4 Kerze, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  5. straal1972

6. Flyers2011

I'd like to see information about coming out, like how to go about doing it or what it's like.

Also, maybe websites and hotlines so people can call if they ever feel alone or need someone to talk that will understand how they feel and won't judge them.

Next, maybe you could talk to out gay people in the world. Like to show gay teenagers that they can still have their hopes and dreams play out, the only thing different is whom they fall in love with.

Finally, something for teachers to learn the signs of a child being bullied. Not just about sexuality but in general. This will help teachers see more, because as surprising as it sounds some teachers can't tell the difference between childhood jokes, and pure insensitivity.

This is a really good idea and I hope you guys get it going :thumbsup:

7. Aya McCabre

I would want to see how to get things done when the school administration is working against you. We got nowhere with our school because of the attitude of the principal.... it would have been helpful to have some idea of how to get around that.

8. JudasKissedHIM

Homophobia in USA schools cannot be cured, because there are no laws in place to act as a remedy. The law views gays as unequal, thus it is ok for teenagers to act homophobic towards gays.

In South Africa (where I live) we have equal rights for all and I have noticed since the gay legislation was introduced that homophobia has declined. I wasn’t out in high school myself, but there were a couple of guys/girls who were out. Hanging with my straight friends (who didn’t know then that I am gay) I can honestly say I've never been part of a conversation where guys degraded gays. Sometimes there were a few 'light' jokes, but never homophobic comments where one could sense an underlying hatred towards gays.

Gay rights were introduced in 2002 (I think) and I remember when I was younger some very homophobic comments were made by family members. They truly hated on gays. Since the legislation the church has taken a different approach to gays- they can now openly attend services and participate in active roles of the church (e.g. join the church band. Previously gays would be asked to resign from these types of roles if they came out.). This level of acceptance by religious institutions has really helped people change their attitudes towards gays. After all the biggest lesson learned from South Africa's history is that integration is the best way to break down discriminatory barriers.

The only point I’m trying to make is that as soon as the law & government sees gays as equals it starts trickling down the social hierarchy and eventually someday the majority of people will forget they even had a problem with giving gay people equal rights.

9. Makaio1

Maybe accounts from members of the LGBT about their experiences of being in a homophobic environment? Explain the growth of gay rights in Australia - what and why are members of the LGBT entitled to? Maybe also explain the being gay is NOT a choice. And also like the other guys have said, stronger restrictions on freely using the word "gay" as a derogatory term. :slight_smile:

10. Dave

(wait does this have to do with the safe schools coalition thingie?? I was asked to help with that but didn't have the time)

I think it'd be good to include some methods for teachers to use to combat homophobic actions such as bullying and langauge, and some lines of reasoning to use to help the students understand how they are hurting the person/s involved