1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Talking to a guy.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Watz08, Apr 3, 2011.

1. Watz08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So in one of my classes there is a guy I want to talk to. We haven't talked before and I'm not sure if he notices me. I don't have a problem figuring out what to say just not sure how to talk to him.

I mostly see him during the lab portion of the class but we aren't in the same group. It also looks like he has a friend in the class and they leave together so I can't seem to get him on his own. I've thought about following them a little after class to see if I can get a chance to speak to him but I feel kinda weird about it since we don't know each other.

I don't really know what else to do. I think he lives off campus because I don't see him anywhere else. I really would like to get a chance to talk to him but I guess I can't come up with a good excuse to start the conversation. Any advice?

2. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

I like using facebook chat... maybe ask if he wants to work on a project or assignment together. I like using mutual interests on facebook to start a conversation with some people. Or there are just general casual conversations that you can start. I don't know what type of things you could start, but things come up. Just act normally :slight_smile:

3. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Well, opportunities dont always present themselves easily. I agree that Facebook, or Myyearbook or what ever you two have would be a good way to get in touch with him, just to break the ice. However, you probably might leave a greater impact if you just talk to him in person. Is this person gay? Is he single? Is he interested?
    We dont know because we dont have that information. However, assuming he the answer is yes to all three of those questions, then it would be a good idea to find some way to just break the ice in person. Perhaps a joke? Or "I think you dropped something, .....oh this isnt yours? Well my name is ____, Ive seen you in class, you seem like a neat person... Want to go out for coffee?" Something like that.

Excuse my stupid scenario lol
    best of wishes.

#3 TyRawr, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  4. Watz08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks for the suggestions, I did manage to find him on Facebook. Although I didn't find out anything about his preference or relationship status we do have a few things in common. I do have a good feeling he is gay from some of the conversations I've overheard. And I still think talking in person is the right way to go since we don't have any mutual friends on facebook and I don't want to creep him out with random messages lol.

(BTW I liked the whole "did you drop this?" idea, might acually work with this guy :grin:)

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Did you drop this" might work, but he's likely to simply say "No"...at which point you'll have to try to find a way to keep the conversation going when your ostensible reason for talking to him is now gone. :slight_smile: If you're doing lab work, you might find an excuse to go to his area, and do a quick intro. "Hi - Paul, right? I'm Watz. Can I see how you've set up this experiment really quick? I'm curious if yours looks as confusing as mine..."

Lex

6. Cool25

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

Pretty much the story of my life right now, minus a few specific parts. Only, this guy has a girlfriend and is of course presumably straight. It really sucks :frowning2:

7. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "So how is your lab going?"

It'll give you an in. plus you'll have something in common to talk about

8. Gumtree

I'm in exactly the same situation! Well, was..

I just got a new Lab partner for one of my science topics and I was faced with the same dilemma.

I was soooo attracted to him it blew me away, I had never experienced anything like it, and I hadn't even spoken to him before!

He sat next to me for our first prac, and I initiated conversation by introducing myself and asking about his course etc and saying that i remember seeing him during orientation etc.

6 weeks later, we spend every minute of our 3 Hour lab laughing and having fun, often chasing each other around with various lab equipment. It's my favourite 3 hours of the week!

9. zerogravity

This is happening to me with this guy I like. Talking to him has not been the problem, it's asking him out that is making me nervous!

10. Watz08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah it's not the talking I'm worried about, it's the walking up to him that makes me nervous :lol:. It would be so much easier if he wasn't always around someone when I see him, and for that matter if I saw him more often.