1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

binding danger

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by roborama, Apr 3, 2011.

1. roborama

my friend and fellow member of our school's gsa identifies as male and binds in what seems to be a very dangerous way (piece of an old sheet with duct tape). he oftan complains of pain and inability to breathe. i am extreamly worried about him and our friends all are too. he cannot afford a proper binder, would it be acceptable for us to ask to use some gsa funds to pay for this? and if so how should we ask? im super worried and have been since i discovered that this is how he is binding; my cousins financee was hospitalized for improperly binding so im extra nervous. please help!

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

As I understand it binding can be very dangerous if you don't do it correctly. This is a serious problem so don't hesitate in taking action.

Tell your friend its possible to use funds from the GSA for it. Thats what is there for! If money is the only problem then the solution is simple. Talk to any LGBT organization near you and ask for help. That's all it takes.

You should also do your research and educate yourself. Go online and learn about proper ways to bind and what is helpful and what is harmful. Find what your friend needs so you can tell the advisor exactly how much money you guys need and for exactly what. Also, try to find different options to present to the advisor. The more you show you care the more people will help you.

Good luck :slight_smile:

3. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

What does it mean to "bind" i have no clue?

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Binding" means, well, binding breasts to the body so as to appear more male than female.

I'd say the correct order would be:

1. Do some research to find out what sort of price range you're looking at.
    2. Talk to the GSA to see if they'd be willing to use the funds for the purchase.
    3. Talk to the guy in question to see if he'd be willing to accept a donation from the GSA for a proper binder.

Lex

5. roborama

1) sort of done
    2) need to do pronto
    3) hes totally on board (thank goodness)

---------- Post added 3rd Apr 2011 at 09:48 PM ----------

thanks! im doing as much research as i can right now (ive never really needed to look into such things) your advice is great and thanks for caring!!

6. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know of a program that gives out binders for just the price of shipping (5 bucks) but the person has to be 18... plus i gotta ask if I'm allowed to post a link to the site here

link was approved
    http://www.thetransitionalmale.com/BBUB.html
    best of luck

#6 Toneth, Apr 3, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  7. Foxywolf

Yeah I heard that binding can deform your rib cage if you start doing it too young too.... hmm. Yeah getting him a proper one would probably help.

8. roborama

thanks guys! weve compiled info and such and are going to present it to our advisor tomorrow, i have high hopes it will turn out well. i mean not to sound dramatic but it really could be life or death the way hes been doing this