1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I want to come out but not sure how to

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by idek, Apr 4, 2011.

1. idek

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I've told eight of my friends so far, and I want to tell my family members before I tell anyone else. What I'm having trouble with is starting the conversation. I always tell myself to do it today but I end up freezing and not doing it :bang: . So my question is how to push through the fear and just come out. Thanks.

2. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    When I told my best friend, I just kept telling myself it would be better if I told her than if I didn't. I figured, its better if I'm honest and take a chance rather than play it safe and be unhappy and feel like I'm hiding something. Only you can push yourself to come out, but only if you're ready. And because its your family and you're young, I would also advise you to proceed with caution- please don't feel like you have to do anything to justify who you are.

3. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Well one thing you can try is simply starting the conversation by saying "Mom, Dad, there is something I need to tell you, and I would like you to listen, and try and understand my situation."
    That will get their attention, and once you have announced there is something you need to tell them, then it will become easier to just get it over with. Once you come out, depending on their reaction, it feels so much better.

Best of wishes,

4. Lebowski45

I agree with the other posters. I can certainly relate, it took me ages to work up the courage to do it, I put it off so many times before I actually done it. I told family members individually, I worked on saying a phrase: "There's something I want to tell you". I knew that if I could say that to them, it would get there attention and I'd have to tell them. Seems kind of silly but I kept saying that phrase to myself and for some reason after I forced myself to say that phrase to them, saying "I'm gay" was relatively easy. Afterwards the relief is tremedous. I hope it goes well for you, all the best