1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out to youngsters

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Holliepop, Apr 6, 2011.

1. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Okay, so as you know I'm bi. I told my mum about 2 months a go and she was fine with it (She doesn't really understand tbh, but she just said that she was happy that I could come to her with this stuff). She told my dad, who is a straw athiest, and said that he had no problem with it and if someone did, then tell him. ^_^

However, my mum told me not to tell my 13 year old brother. Now, me and my brother have a very positive relationship ... most of the time, y'know what sibling rivalry's like and all, and we talk about everything. I've even brought up LGBT topics to see what his reaction is and he's very supportive that it's actually adorable how pro-gay he is. He even gets really angry when my mum accidentally lets out an "Ewww" if there's a same-sex kiss on tv, which he makes her apologize for.

I want to tell him, because I know he'll be fine with it. But then I always wonder, what if he changes his mind when he finds out his older sister is bi? I mean, he doesn't know anyone whose LGBT so I don't know if it would be difficult for him to let the news sink in, would he become uncomfortable? I'm also worried about going against my mum; she told me not to tell him because he's 'too young', maybe she knows how he'll react more than I do? I've only heard him say mean things when its towards campness :slight_smile:dry:slight_smile:, which he doesn't understand, but the sexual orientation itself he seems absolutely fine with.

Should I stay true to my mother or ignore her and tell him?

:/ Thankyouuuuu. <3

2. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Since you are quite close with your mother, I say have a chat with her about it. Be honest to her in the discussion that you do have a burning desire to tell yor brother because you are so close, because I think when your mom first said that don't tell your brother, she might not be aware of your urge and how strong it is.

3. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

There's no reason not to tell him. If he was 11 or younger I'd say respect your mother's wishes and don't tell him (although that would still be ridiculous in my opinion) but he's old enough that you should just tell him. I agree that you should try and state your case to your mother again but if she still won't let you after that then you should definitely just tell him. He is making her apologize for saying ew at same sex kisses, so he's obviously mature enough to understand it and he's obviously mature enough to accept and support you.

4. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    But surely if my mum found out she would be angry that I went against her wishes? I really don't want that, because I know she doesn't really like talking about my bisexuality anyway ... so she may not like my brother bringing it up. :/

I will try and talk to her about it, but I know she gets a little uncomfortable and tries to change the subject. -.- It's quite fustrating tbh. But yeah, better than being downright outraged. :slight_smile:

5. zerogravity

Maybe put some rainbow stickers on your door - maybe he will bring it up? Then you can just tell your mom he brought it up. Who knows, my older sister is lesbian and I am gay so maybe he is gay (or bi) too?

6. Holliepop

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hmmm. I doubt that he'll link rainbows to me being bi (he wouldn't assume I'm gay, as I'm dating a guy, and I'm sure if I was gay, I would have broken up with him by now). And, for now atleast, I highly doubt that. Just like a lot of kids, he's pretty asexual ... but also in the sense that he has NEVER fancied anyone and never thinks about that stuff ... unless he just doesn't tell me. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

But that's not the point. xD

I guess I could hint to him, and then I could use the excuse "Sorry mum, he found out for himself." :L

7. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

To be completely I if your mom is clueless about the whole thing, then I think she's also clueless on how your little brother would react. I would tell your little brother, dont let something as silly as this destroy your relationship with him. He's obviously fine that, and I think your mom is going to forgive you for telling him, if he's ok with it.

8. TheDarkerPoet

To be perfectly honest, it is your decision to come out to family members, not your mother's. I don't think she should have told you not to come out to him.

Seeing as that's past, though, your brother sounds like he would be supportive. And I think you should go for it, because his support is worth your mother's possible bad reaction. Besides, if she cares about you, she'd just want you to be happy, and if telling your brother makes you happy, I don't see how it's a problem.

9. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

See how talking to your mother goes. Maybe talk to both of your parents at the same time. Could your dad help out the situation?

I don't see any problem with telling any kid at any age, in fact, I think that it should be encouraged. I do however understand that you don't want to go against your mother.