1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Prom

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by roborama, Apr 6, 2011.

1. roborama

alright alright i know this is my second prom thread but i have different issues now.

i had decided not to go to my school's prom (junior prom) because it just didnt seem worth it. but now my friend (who is a senior) asked me to go as friends (well yeah he knows im gay) because the tickets are only one sale until friday. i dont know... should i just go?

and secondly, the main reason not planning on going to prom; pride prom. theres a big prom for lgbt and ally youth the week after and im super excited. but im not sure if i should go alone or ask this girl ive been crushing on. im pretty terrible with girls and shes hard to get to begin with but shes gay at least. we're friends but i have no clue if she likes me or would even just consider going with me. or maybe i should just fly solo. ughhh im stuck.

and lastly; how should i ask her if i do. like i said, shes hard to get. one of my other friends was asked to prom with a very elaborate maze of adorableness that took her all over town. i want to do something like that, but maybe not so out there. just a ps; i cant draw for my life but i can knit, write, bake, and someother probably useless things like science (well in this case my love of chem may actually help ahaha not, i really need to stop trying to be funny) and i have very little money, thank goodness admission is free

thanks for reading this incredibly long someone boring thread, and if you feel like helping id really appreciate it. if not well good day to you

2. Zontar

Don't go. Prom's a special night for the one you're truly interested in. By going to prom with your friend, you're cheating yourself and him out of a good night. Go to pride prom and let him go with his crush instead...it'll all be much better in the end.

You only get one, sometimes two. Don't fuck 'em up.

3. Flyers2011

I think you should go to the Pride Prom. You seem to be way more interested in going to that than the regular high school prom.

I think you should write poetry or something, that will lead her to you. Like, a scavenger hunt almost. Like, start with a poem that directs her to a certain spot, then another, then another, at the end you should be standing there with flowers or something she likes and then you ask her. Flower prices are lower since it's not Valentinte's Day anymore. If you can't get that, get some chocolate or something else you know she really likes.

And if she does reject you, still go to Pride Prom. Who knows? You might meet a great girl there. But you won't know unless you put yourself out there.

I hope you have a great night (*hug*)

4. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Is it one or the other? If so I definitely think you should go to the pride prom, and I wouldn't hesitate to ask this girl. Perhaps, you can bake a cake, launch baloons, serenade her at her front door, etc.

Where I live, we don't have anything like pride prom, but I have no problem with regular prom. Rarely do people go as a same-sex couple unfortuneately, so I almost certainly wouldn't. But I wouldn't hesitate going with a girl as a friend, it's all about having a good time.

5. Elven

Could you not just go to both? I can understand why you might not want to go to your junior prom since alot of people seem to think it is all about going with someone you fancy, and maybe it is in your area, I don't know if it is any different. But in the very least in my own area the vast majority of people who aren't with anyone seem to just go as friends, (hopefully) have a great time and say goodbye to those who they might not see again. Sort of just celebrating the five years we will have had together. But I suppose if you don't like many people at your school, or it's meant to be crummy, maybe not. It is completely your decision of cource, and if you feel too uncomfortable with the idea of going with a guy then perhaps you shouldn't go.

The LGBT Prom sounds great, especially if you know some people there so if you'd prefer it then go for it! I would love to go to one myself. As for asking your crush I would try being straight forward and just force yourself to break the question to her if you can't think up anything more tactical. Or you could try and be sweet and buy her a gift or make her something, just try and be yourself. My main point is, whatever you do have fun! :grin:

6. Foxywolf

Ah I can see how you feel I am in a slightly similar situation (with the asking a girl out to prom).
    Well as for your junior prom I don't think you should go with that guy, just because it will get people thinking 'is she really gay' and stuff like that. You could still go to prom but I wouldn't go with your guy friend - just saying.
    I think you should try to ask the gay girl you know to the gay prom. "Forget the risk, take the fall, if it's meant to be, it's worth it all!"
    Well I should be taking my own advice because I also know this gay girl..... but I'm too wimpy to do anything.
    Good luck!

7. roborama

thanks ill need good luck with this one haha and great ideas! keep them coming haha

and yeah i already wasnt sure about going to "straight prom" and you guys mostly just affirmed that position. i know it sounds bad but it really isnt my place. i seriously hope my guy friend ends up with a date, he seems to really want one (obviously if hes asking me)

8. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure about which prom you should attend, but I did hear of a really cute way to ask someone...
    Fill a room with balloons, inside of each balloon is a part of your request. As she pops the balloons, she slowly uncovers the message and has to put it in order. Maybe it could be part of an elaborate scavenger hunt? I dunno, just a suggestion... :slight_smile:

9. roborama

thats wicked adorable:slight_smile:

10. DareToEatAPeach

I would recommend going to both proms. Prom at my school isn't really a huge deal, at least not to any of my friends. Tons of people just go with friends, that's what I did last year and I still had a blast. There is so much hype around prom and how it's a life changing night, but it really isn't, it's just a dinner and a dance. So just go with a bunch of friends and hang out for the night, I guarantee you that it'll be fun. Last year even one of my friends who was a sophomore wanted to go to prom, but didn't have a date, so another one my friends, who was a junior, went with her. So they went as a lesbian couple just so that she could go, it was really hilarious.

But definately go to the LGBT prom too, that sounds really interesting. And take the chance of asking the girl you like, she might surprise you.

11. ToTheCeilingFan

Omigosh grrrl, you're right -- our situations are almost exactly the same. ;p You're so lucky there's a pride prom in your area, and if you can only do one or the other it sounds like you're more interested in that one anyway. Between tickets, a dress, dinner, etc. prom isn't exactly cheap and you should go to the one you're more excited about. As for asking her, is she out yet? That might limit how creative/public you can get with asking her out...
    Best luck! (*hug*)

12. roborama

so i am now posting a response to my own thread got to love it

well shes my date to pride prom!!! didnt go as planned though... my friend hinted to her that i had something to ask her and i dont know exactly what he told her but i got sooo embarresed that i turned redder than a tomato and forgot how to talk and SHE asked ME. isnt life wonderful :slight_smile: im still a nervous mess around her though:frowning2: