1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Being out at work?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by IHeartDisney, Oct 29, 2007.

1. IHeartDisney

IHeartDisney Guest

Ok so I finally came out to my family last weekend and I couldn't be happier, but now I think I am ready to start letting more and more people know so I can be myself around as much people as possible. Anyways since graduating school, most of the friends that I have are ones that I have met at work. I really want to tell them, but I'm not too comfortable w/ every single person where I work knowing that I am gay. I mean honestly I feel like it's nobody's business what someone's sexual orietation is in the workplace. I would really appreciate anyone's advice on this matter. Thanks!

2. Urman

Urman Guest

You should wait in tell you feel ready and conformable to tell more people i am glad that you are out but take its slow. Don't rush anything think things thought.

3. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Well, I would be EXTREMELY cautious about who I told. In a lot of states it's perfectly legal for a business to fire someone for being homosexual. Just make sure no one finds out who would be inclined to have you fired.

4. Urman

Urman Guest

I have to disagree that would be racism and hate crime which are both illegal

5. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Um no, ever heard of ENDA? Ya know, the one that aims to end workplace discrimination against the GLBT community. In almost forty states you can be fired for being a homosexual; it's a fact.

6. Urman

Urman Guest

Hmmm never herd of it does it exist in new york?

7. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I don't believe you can be fired for being homo in New York, but idk for sure.

8. IHeartDisney

IHeartDisney Guest

Well where I work there are several openly gay employees, one of them being a manager so I'm not really too worried about being fired. I'm more worried about people talking about me while on the clock and people treating me differently. I want my friends at work to know, but I don't want EVERYONE to know, you know what I mean? I guess it's impossible though right?

9. Louise

If your work collegues really are your friends you can tell them simply that out of respect for them you would like to share a part of your life with them but that you don't want to become a subject for gossip and sniggering and that you hope they respect your privacy as an individual. You might like to mention who amongst your other work collegues you have told so that they don't feel they are walking around with a secret. :thumbsup:

10. CrimsonThunder

Thats stupid... And so 1960's.

Anyways... just tell your friends and say you don't want anyone else to know, simple! ;D

11. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    The good news is that New York is one of the few states that does have sexual orientation in their non-discrimination laws.

12. baileyh

baileyh Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I already have been last year.My girlfriend Yasmine came in to visit me a little bit and I kissed her.My co workers saw this happen and I told them that I am a lesbian.They respect I am a lesbian includin boss Randy.I only had one problem with one and was fired Friday

13. xequar

Living in Michigan, I could very easily be fired just for being gay, but, the Fortune 500 company for which I work has an anti-discrimination policy, so I guess I'm covered that way...

At first, I was worried about being out at work, but I'm really close with the people in my area, and it was just getting to be too much to not be able to honestly participate in the classic corporate water cooler talk. So, I finally came out to them. So far, I haven't had any problems of any kind. Like I said, I work for a gay-friendly company and my co-workers are great people, so I've had a good time of things.

If you do come out, just be really careful, ok!

14. SkyTears

Take some time to think it over before you tell anyone at work. Maker sure that it is really what you want to let them know or not. If so you can still just tell the people yo are friends with at work and just ask if they could not talk about it to others than those you have already told.

15. Jim1454

I've contemplated telling one of two people that I KNOW would keep it to themselves. Otherwise, I don't think it really matters what my sexual orientation is at work.

(In my situation, it would be a little more 'scandalous' given that it's known that I was married and have children...)

16. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

The problem wth coming out at work is that it WILL spread around the whole place whether you want it to or not.

If you really really trust one or two people to keep it secret then you could tell them. But remember that people find it difficult to keep secrets so could mention it to just one other person, who mentions it to someone else, and somewhere along the way the fact that it was supposed to be a secret gets forgotten.

This can be useful if you want people at work but don't want to tell everyone though. A couple of jobs ago I wanted this so I found out who the main gossip was (not difficult) and made a point of being by the coffee machine when she was there and we got chatting.... It worked perfectly!