1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Where do we go from here?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MusicIsLife, Apr 7, 2011.

1. MusicIsLife

So I've found an apartment. I'm sending the completed application off tomorrow.

My mom is pretty sure that I'll get it, the landlord seemed to like me, and its an amazing price.

Now, after talking about moving out for a good year and a half, i'm actually (probably) doing it.

I'm excited, but nervous as hell. Half my stuff is packed and the lease starts May 1st.

I just feel like...what now? I'm not sure what to do. My cat is coming with me, when should I get her food bowls, food and kitty litter?

Should I do grocery shopping a few weeks before I move? or should I wait til the actual move? When should I pack my clothes? when should I pack my kitchen stuff?

Advice would be good :slight_smile:

2. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Well I dont think you would want your food to spoil by the time you got to your new apartment. I dont think buying some kitty bowls would be a bad idea, or anything that will not go bad.

Im really excited for you, and a little jealous. Good luck

3. Idonteven

well for starters, I'd do my grocery shopping on the day I move in to my new place, but thats just me. I'd pack my clothes a few days before I moved but again, thats me, and kitchen stuff I'd pack whenever, not leaving it until the last minute.

4. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    grab all the non perishable stuff before hand, then if you want, grab the rest of the food a day or two beforehand, you'll be really busy unpacking the first couple days after the move, its easier if you already have the stuff, but in all fairness I'm one of those "over packers" so i don't mind moving a couple extra boxes, lol

5. adam88

Congrats! I remember when I made the move out. Do you have any roommates?

What I did was just move all my stuff and eat Chinese food the first night. Then shopping to get a few things in the fridge, then focusing on unpacking.

It's up to you though. You might want to let your cat stay with your mother for a few days/a week while you unpack - but that's up to you.

6. Gumtree

Moving is such a transition, I can't believe I went through it without so many more dramas!

I think the most important thing is to accept that no matter how hard you try, you'll never able to remember everything, or think of everything.

There will be things you wont realize you needed to get until you really need them, and things you didn't even know you forgot until you're desperate for them!

Maintain good communication and a transport link with your mum so it's not a hassle to get the things you forgot.

Now that you're on your own, you'll be having to think a lot more about perishables. Personally, I moved and did all my unpacking/decorating before I even considered kitchen supplies, I basically just ate out for the first 2 days before I did a full shop. I think this short wait also helps sort out what you really do and don't need to buy food wise.

I found some of the best advice I was given when I was moving out of home, was that I should stop and thinking about exactly where I intend to put everything that I pack. You can't find a spot for it in your new home in your head, there's a good chance you really don't need to bring it!

Get to know the surrounding transport as soon as you can, it really reduces stress and worry when you know exactly how and when you can get to and from home.

7. raven23

I would wait till the day to get all the food but maybe get the new bowl and kitty litter tray sooner and maybe let her use them while still at your mums - transitional items maybe, I would pack all the things that you aren't going to use pre moving and just leave out the things you will need