1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming out - facebook status?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Josh21, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Josh21

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey!

Looking for some advice re coming out on facebook. I intend to leave my 'interested in' as blank (all my other 'info' is blank too, i prefer it that way) so what i am looking at is probably a status update.

I don't know if this happens in other places but around these parts people's facebooks get hacked by their friends very, very regularly and almost always the friends post "I'm Gay!" as a joke status. So if I was to say it like this, most people would assume I had been hacked haha.

So I am just looking for a heap of suggestions of ways to word this? Should i try to be funny? serious? clever?

Any suggestions/ideas/experiences would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Cheers!
    Josh

2. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    not really my recommendation that you come out that way, I think it would be a better idea for you to just tell the people that you trust, and go from there.
    the only ways i could see this ending is that either A. you end up coming out in a much bigger way than you expected, or B. you'll be left in the situation where you have to say your facebook was hacked, leaving people to think you're saying you're straight.
    and since i doubt that's actually what you're going for, I don't recommend it.
    if you're just worried about how people will react, you could always just mention that I heard (insert famous celebrity such as lance bass here) is gay, how do you feel about that?

3. TyPod

I'd just say 'Hey everybody, I'm not being hacked. I'm gay and if you don't like it you know how to remove me as a friend'

4. Josh21

Out Status:
    A few people
    @Toneth - what i am talking about here is the step after coming out to close friends/family etc. all these people i have come out in person already or plan to before i come out on facebook.
    So i guess what i am talking about is sort of the 'last step' to let my less close friends/acquaintances/rest of the world know :slight_smile:

5. Ianthe

Can I assume you have friends on Facebook that already know that you are gay? If so, you could ask one of them to post a supportive comment on your status that makes it obvious that they already knew--and therefore it is true.

You can also just start acting as if everyone knows, and make posts that refer to you being gay, without making it a big announcement.

If you make an announcement, people will go an check your info page, but if nothing else is filled out there either, it's probably fine.

If you just start acting as if everyone knows, eventually people will get the idea.

6. Makaio1

I know someone who came out on "National Coming Out Day" on FB. They had so much support from it. If you think its the right move to make, do it -- albeit a bold one!

Good luck

7. ToTheCeilingFan

It's probably a good idea not to make it too humorous or people might think it's a joke. Maybe you could post something that makes it obvious you're interested in guys without making a big deal out of it (i.e. posting song lyrics that refer to a male object of affection, etc.). You could also just come out and say it (no pun intended:wink:). Whatever you decide, I hope it goes well. You're a brave dude. <3

8. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

It says in your info that you are "gay (i think?)" Just make sure you are confident especially if you are going to come out like that.

9. MoDude

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I agree with Alex, be confident that you wish to do it his way and maybe just change info slowly.

10. Josh21

Out Status:
    A few people
    thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated :slight_smile:

11. Mitchyboiii

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I came out one year ago tonight on Facebook:

"You know what? I'm done with hiding myself from you guys. Anonymous person on Formspring: you're right. Staying in the closet for this long has made me attention-thirsty. NOT ANYMORE BITCHES! I'M GAY!

Who I'm NOT is a 'fag' who deserves to be teased. I know most of you will be accepting of me, b/c well, you're the same people who've been suspecting this for so many years.

Might I add how amazing this feels?"

..........182 likes.