1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to do conversation?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Enaithor, Apr 8, 2011.

1. Enaithor

I'm not sure when this happened, but I seem to have forgotten how to have actual interesting conversation.
    All I remember how to do is:
    • Bitch about my life
    • Be weird and philosophical
    • Be a nerd
    • Talk about music (but in a boring overanalytical way)
    • And bitch about my life a bit more

...how do normal people actually have a conversation that makes them interesting without being depressing?

2. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

Well there is no normal person conversation, and it depends on what type of person your with. In what sense do you mean who would you be conversing with, friend, aquaintance, someone you don't know? im happy to help but there isnt enough of a question.

3. Enaithor

Anyone really to be honest :/

4. jrnewton2

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I was gonna say "be a nerd" until I saw it on your list. Other than that, ummmm, I dunno? What do non-nerds talk about anyway?

If you were with me and my friends, your weird philosophical nerdiness would be celebrated. Perhaps you need to talk to different people? o.0

5. Enaithor

The thing is, it's not like when I'm being philosophical it's actually interesting. Like it's interesting for a bit, but then it gets boring quite quickly. And often I'll know when to stop. But then I feel awkward and need to say something. So I just have to keep talking...

6. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

do you think about what you are going to say before you say it?

7. Enaithor

Erm, I think so, not really sure...

8. DougieBoy

DougieBoy Guest

If your with friends it shouldnt matter what you talk about, but with people your just getting to know it more just light conversation like hi how are ya, how this going for you and you can discuss your self but not like omg im so awesome, i think you know how to talk to people you just don't know how others talk to others. its different for everyone, um i don't know what else to say, geez i feel useless, none of what i said makes much sense... sorry

9. closetcase

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    OK I have the exact same problem. It happened a few months ago and I couldn't pin point the reason. I've had the same group of friends for years so why was this happening? then I realised that it started at the same time that a girl came up to me in a gay club and told me that my friends knew I was gay (she knows them, long story doesnt matter). I just shoved it off, thinking as long as they didnt mention anything I would act normal. But that's absolutely impossible, and I became paranoid everytime I was with them (still do). I can't talk, don't know what to talk about, and I think that maybe it has to do with being closeted, with being used to hiding a part of yourself and therefore losing spontaneity. So my question is are you closeted? I think we are not aware of the effect that has on us until something like this happens, where you can't even have a normal conversation with your friends. I find myself being aware of everything I do, every movement, every word that comes out of my mouth. People usually talk about people. Girls about boys and boys about girls. You can't engage in that kind of conversations if you're worried you might disclose your sexuality, if you can't talk from you and your personal experience (which would be gay)
    I am still totally frightened of telling my friends, but I'm pretty sure that could be the solution.

10. stageone

Find people who like to bitch about the same things lol.
    Nerds rule.

11. snackcake

just be yourself and start the conversation off with something that interests you. you fav tv show, fav game what you wonder, what you fear, etc. you can change the tone into whatever but i think what you're looking for is a give and take , right? stay engage in the conversation and keep practicing. you'll be better at it in no time!!

---------- Post added 18th Apr 2011 at 10:12 PM ----------

OMG! You're seventeen...you are soooooo normal! but my other post should help should you not wish to be normal anymore! :grin:

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Take a look at your list real quick. Note that in each case, YOU are the one doing all the talking. At that point, you're not conversing. It's more like you're posting a blog - putting things out there which may or may not be received. But the point of conversing is to actually interact with somebody else. (Otherwise, you may as well stick to blogging.) And the easiest way to work on that is to put the focus on them.

Let's pick a subject that you mention you can talk about - music. Instead of simply espousing your theories about music, or which albums are best/worst, turn the focus back on the other person. You can add your own thoughts and opinions in context to what they say.

"So who's your favorite band?"
    "I really like Lady Gaga."
    "Really? I've tried listening to her music, but it just doesn't do much for me. What do you like about it?"
    "Oh, I think her videos are great, and I love dancing to her stuff."
    "Hm. When I feel like dancing, I usually put on something by Neu. Have you ever heard of them?"
    "I don't think so..."
    "They're kind of old, but I really like their music. It's sort of trippy early synthesizer stuff. What other artists do you like?"

As you can see, you don't have to agree with their opinions. But the conversation goes a lot smoother if you RESPECT their opinions. By listening to them, and giving your thoughts in response to them, it becomes an exchange rather than a monologue or an argument.

Lex

13. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This sounds like it could be part of the issue, at least I could relate to it.

Lex makes a good point too and gives good conversation example.

Good luck :slight_smile:

14. Enaithor

That is a rather good point actually, Lex :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    But with people that I'm like, already good friends with, I have decent conversations...like I still bitch and stuff quite a lot but it is actual conversation.
    I just find that when I'm talking to people I don't know very well I tend to get a bit stuck and end up blogging in their face.

Oh yes, one of my best friends...basically all we do is bitch about other people, it's great fun :3