1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

where do I go from here

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by raven23, Apr 9, 2011.

1. raven23

OK, so i'm pretty sure i'm bisexual and I have told two people, my supervisor and my ex best friend. I have been sexually active with men and have sexual thoughts about women but have never acted on it.

I had a huge crush on my best friend and I couldn't cope when she kept leaving the country, I was still in denial then and so I told her I didn't want to be friends any more, she has recently started talking to me again (which is when I told her i'm bi) but I still haven't told her about the crush

i'm also bi-romantic and so i'm afraid that if I come out to my family
    that they won't understand the difference and will just tell me i'm lying

what should I do:confused:

2. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

First of all welcome to EmptyClosets, this is a place to discover and explore your sexuality.

Personally I believe bi-romanticism and bisexuality to be the same thing. Yes one is physical attraction, and one is emotional, but I also believe that sexual attraction requires much emotional attraction as well.

I think the next step you should take is to work on yourself a little more. It seems like you are still uneasy about your sexuality. Here, on EC, it is ok to identify as nothing, or not sure, but its also a place to discover the truth. It would be advisable if you were to take some steps back for a moment from the relationship world, and focus more on discovering more about yourself.

Perhaps if we take things one step at a time it will make things easier.
    Best of wishes my friend, and we hope to have you around for much longer. Stick around and we can tackle this thing together.
    Its probably not what you want to hear, but it gets better.

3. Flyers2011

Welcome to EC!

I think you need to work on yourself more. What's most important right now is figuring out who you are. Not telling people that you aren't sure. Yeah, it's nice to have the support, but you wouldn't want to come out to someone (i.e. your family) that you're afraid that might not support you.

Coming out isn't a race. Do it at your own pace. Nothing's worse than coming out when you're not ready and having to face all of the issues involved. You need to reach a level of comfort and relaxation about your sexuality before you come out. Being confused isn't that place.

Don't stress out too much. It takes some people ages to figure it out, that's nothing bad. I thought I was bisexual for five years, I got into a relationship with a girl and BOOM. I realized I was gay. Some people come out of the womb with a rainbow sticker on their foreheads. There's nothing shameful about being confused, unless you let there be. Just focus on figuring yourself out. Then you can tackle trying to come out. There's no sense in trying to come out AND figure everything out. You would have way too much on your plate and it would be a case of 'burning the candle at both ends.' Don't do that. It would just be too much for you.

Take it easy, enjoy life, and eventually you'll figure it out (*hug*)

4. Ianthe

I'm a little confused. Are you out to your family as biromantic, then? If so, I don't think they will think that you are lying, they might just wonder why you are telling them again. Most people consider romantic feelings to be part of sexuality.

You say your family won't understand the difference--what do you think the difference is? In your mind, what distinguishes bisexuality from biromanticism? I don't think I've ever heard of someone being biromantic but not bisexual, unless they were asexual. (I have heard of it the other way, where someone is bisexual--attracted to both genders sexually--but falls in love with only one gender.)

5. raven23

Hi
    Thank you for all your replies,

My family knows nothing about any of this

Think I will take everyone's advice and not stress about it (*hug*)