1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Mom changing her opinions....

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by DareToEatAPeach, Apr 9, 2011.

1. DareToEatAPeach

Okay so I came out to my mom in February that I was bi and she seemed completely fine with it. I've created other threads since then about how we have never brought it up again, and all the awkwardness that comes with that.

But today she said something that really threw me off. I was watching some tv shows on the computer and she came into the room. She asked me what I was watching and I said "Gavin and Stacey". My mom then said, "Is that some gay show?", in a really harsh tone and with almost a little disgust in her voice. I responded by explaining the show and how it actually has nothing to do with gays (it's about a young married couple for those that aren't familiar). But this is really bothering me.

It was just such a random comment and now I'm really nervous to bring up my sexuality again. I was going to have another sit down with her soon, however now I feel really confused. What should I do?

2. Eleanor Rigby

I'm sorry that your mom acted this way today. It is possible that she is having a harder time than you thought dealing with your coming out. Though that doesn't mean she is turning her back on you. She is probably struggling with this at some point, but that doesn't mean she doesn't love you anymore.
    I think you should talk to her about it. Tell her you have noticed a few things in her behavior that are making you think she might be uncomfortable with your coming out. Ash her is she want to talk about it and let her know she is welcome to ask any questions she may have.
    You also could print for her this PFLAG booklet : http://www.pflag.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Publications/Daughters_Sons.pdf
    It might be helpful for her and clarify some misconceptions she may have.
    I hope this could help, let us know how it goes.
    Take care, Cécile