1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joining a LGBT Club?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Dreaming, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Dreaming

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I am currently deep into the closet and having a hard time accepting myself. My uni has a lgbt club and i am pondering whether i should go along one day? This would be a huge step for me but if it helps- it would be worth it. So, what do you get out of joining an lgbt club? I guess the crux of the question is whether the benefits i would gain from going to the lgbt soc outweight the "pain" of getting the confidence to go?

2. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    its definitely worth it, in college I joined one, they're very accepting and super nice, it helps to have friends who understand, and are going through the same stuff as you.

3. RyanCodey

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Being the president of a "closeted" G-SA if I may call it that has to be one of the most rewarding things I have ever done. We aren't able to do a lot but I feel like right now it's a pathway for people such as yourself to feel more safe or willing to be who they truly are. I think that you would benefit more than you know from joining a LGBT club. :slight_smile:

4. Lebowski45

Let me offer an alternative perspective. While I was "coming out" I decided to go along to my uni lgbt and it was a pretty awful experience. I can only speak for what mine was like but rather than seeming to be open to everyone, it was as if you had to live up to the stereotype of being gay (and I cannot relate to any of the stereotypical traits). Now I don't care if someone is camp or not, or whatever, I'd rather people just be themselves. I was pretty much ignored though because I wasn't camp or into the "terribly camp" music of Kylie Minogue (someone else said that, not me) etc. I just felt like people were trying to wear the mask that others think being lgbt is. I made my excuses and left because I didn't feel like I belonged there. But I am gay.

I'm not trying to put you off, its great if you decide to go and you meet great people and have a good time, thats terrific. So definitely check it out if you want to. I guess I'm just trying to say in advance that you're still an individual and being gay in no way means you have to like or be whatever others, even within the lgbt community, expect you to be. My curiousity took me to such places when I was "coming out" but soon after I realised that nothing about me really had to change. I wasn't going to be pigeon-holed by my sexuality.

So yeah go along and check it out, if you like it great (as others have said they've got a lot from these groups) but if you don't that's cool as well. Being gay doesn't define you, you're still an individual. I guess you can only really find out if they're for you or not by going to it. All the best :slight_smile:

5. straal1972

Not all clubs are created equal as seen ^^. It may be one of the best things you ever do, going to the LGBT. But if it isn't don't let that jade you to every other potential group out there. Good luck, just attending a session doesn't automatically force you out of the closet, you can ask that your status remain confidential within the group, or you can just say that your are questioning yourself at the moment.

6. I say it's definitely worth a shot. I joined my university's shortly after coming out, but not everyone who's LGBT is out. It's been super helpful for me and I think other people too, even if they're not out yet.

It's obvious that not every club is great or whatever, but I'd think that most are, as they're full of people who get where you're coming from.

7. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

There really isn't much that you can say to convince someone to go. Its like trying to recommend your favorite food to someone. You either like it or you don't, but you should at least try it. The good thing about GSA is that you can become part of the leadership and make all the changes that you want to it.

That being said, here is my side of it :slight_smile:

It really depends on a lot of things. Each LGBT group is different because there is not one way to lead a GSA and how much you get involved also affects how much you enjoy it.

I personally love being part of the LGBT group at my college. This is my last semester as the president of the GSA at my campus and I loved every single second of it.

I went there and got out with a large group of gay friends, leadership experience and connections with other professors and student activities people. I also got to create this space that we were lacking for other LGBT people to get support, which is a reward in itself. The point is I had a freaking awesome time.

There is also the argument that you can advocate with your LGBT group by doing different things around campus.

I would almost compare GSA to EC. It is what you make of it and while some people love EC some other people hate it.

Hope it helps :slight_smile:

8. roborama

not in college but im super active in my schools group in high school and i do tend to kind of piggyback on the local colleges gsa (my bestfriend goes there and ive been brought to some meetings and go to all their events) and what ive gotten fron the college's group is much like what we have in high school so im going to go from there.

it could be a really great thing. youre with people that understand the questioning stage and issues can be brought up (events, bullying, gossip, ect). and know you dont even need to be out there. i probably know for sure the sexual orientation/ gender identity of only half the group. so i say go and try it. if somethings not feeling right, leave. but you could miss out on a very positive experience

9. Kidd

Kidd Guest

You should join it. My university's GSA always has really fun events and it's nice to meet people and have friends that are just like you. Once you see and get to know real, out, and happy gay people you'll feel so much better about yourself, I promise.

Put on your brave face and just go to a meeting one night. If you hate it then you don't have to keep going, but I think you'll definitely learn a lot about who you are and your community, and that's always good.

Plus, don't worry about someone outing you or anything. GSA's are for straight people too. No one is going to jump to any conclusions, and if someone asks if you're gay, just be honest. They'll understand, we were all in your shoes once before.

10. Lioren

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I don't know what Uni you are at or what your LGBT is like, however if you were at my uni i'd strongly be urging you to take part. Again, not sure how it works at your uni but with ours there is the possibility of getting a 'parent', so if you aren't sure or confident in just turning up, maybe you could email in and see if they can set you up to talk with someone once or twice, before a social then afterwards, if you feel up to it you would be able to go along to the social with that person, (I always found that knowing at least one person eases the pressure in a new social situation)...

Joining my campus LGBT has to have been one of the best decisions I made, and although some of the people I've met are so stereotypical that they practically ARE the box, I have met a range of people from all sorts of backgrounds, identities and personalities, including three of my best friends on campus...

11. stageone

I think it would help you become more comfortable with who you are. Even if it's to find out "wow- that's really not me" as in the example given by WillNeverMarry. Odds are you will find some people to connect with. All the best!