1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I made a mistake

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Watz08, Apr 13, 2011.

1. Watz08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm still trying to meet this guy I like and this week in lab I had a plan to introduce myself and everything. But when the time came I froze. I just couldn't bring myself to walk over there. I think I felt intimidated by the three other people in his group. They're always around and I know they would all focus on me if I were to go over there. So once again, nothing happend... :dry:

I don't know what I was thinking afterward but later that day I sent him a friend request over facebook. I know that was a stupid thing to do. We don't even know each other and here I am sending a request. I did metion we were in the lab together and he has seen me before (we just never spoke to one another) so it wasn't completly out of the blue. I don't think he's going to accept though, there's just nothing to go off of except some shared interests. I don't know what to do now, I feel like I blew any chance with him.

Is there any way I can recover from this without looking like a creep? I have thought of sending him a message apologizing and saying that I had wanted to meet him but was too shy to speak to him. I feel awful about this whole thing and wish I hadn't done it, but does anyone still think there is some hope? :icon_sad:

2. brodyman

Hrmm, here's the good thing. I do think there is hope. I know a ton of people who are what I call facebook "junkies". They'll send any they have ever seen a friend request just because that is there personality. You could just say you were on facebook and you recognized him so you sent him down a friend request. If he doesn't accept, try to go talk to him about it. Explain that you just recognized him and thought you guys could hook up over facebook and become friends. Then introduce yourself to him and talk as if it was all just normal. That is what I would do. I would NOT apologize to him with a message over facebook. That will make you even look a little creepier, explain it to him yourself. People appreciate talking to other people. Hope all goes well, feel free to drop me a wall post if you need anymore help! Good luck!

3. Watz08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I figured it be something like that. I'll try my best but unfortunately I might not get a chance to speak with him until next week. He doesn't always show up for lecture. But I'll keep my eyes open for him, thanks for the advice. :slight_smile:

4. Watz08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Update: So I did talk to him and apologized and he said it was ok. I don't know how much good it did, I caught him leaving class and he was in a bit of a rush so he didn't say much. He didn't really look me in the eye when talking to me either but given the circumstances I don't blame him. I also didn't get a chance to tell him why I sent it, like I said he was in a rush to leave. I'm thinking of telling him the next time I see him but after his reaction I'm not so sure...

So now what? Should I try to talk to him some more or should I just let it go? I would like to try to build up some kind of friendship but I don't know if it's possible now.

#4 Watz08, Apr 17, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2011
  5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The main thing you need to do is stop obsessing over it. :slight_smile:

Making friends (and maybe more) is supposed to come somewhat naturally. We can nudge it along, of course, but it shouldn't end up being like invading a foreign country. It shouldn't involve this much time, planning and effort. So perhaps give it a rest for a while. Say hi to him when you see him in class, but that's it. Let that be your contact for awhile, let it build from that.

Lex

6. brodyman

I would go with Lex on this, just try to act normal over it. Try to catch up with him, when he looks like he has time to talk. I wouldn't let it go but as Lex said don't obsess over it. Just try to sit next to him (don't make it obvious attempts) but the more, possible, interaction you can have the better chance you have to foster a friendship. Remember his likes and interests, I know you said you have some common interests, try talking to him about it. Also, did he accept your friend request on facebook? As to the whole friend request, based on his reaction, it seems he did not think it was a big deal. I would not bring it up anymore unless he talks about it.

7. Watz08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    *sigh* Your both right, he's just so cute it's hard not to think about him. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

I think I'm just panicking a little now since the class is almost over and I don't know if I'll really see him again. I'll try taking it slow (and since I only see him once or twice a week I don't think it will be a problem) and just go from there.

He didn't accept the friend request but he hasn't denied it either, I guess facebook just lets you hide them without having to say one way or the other. I told him last night that since I didn't expect him to accept me right now if he could at least delete it. It was mostly because some of his stuff would show up on my news feed and I didn't feel right about seeing it unless he accepted. He hasn't done anything yet so we'll see.

Thanks again for the advice. :slight_smile:

8. Watz08

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Sorry for posting again, something else about this has been bothering me and if you can't tell by now I overthink stuff.

So I'm fine with just talking to him casually and just go on from there. The problem is that the class we are in together is done at the end of the week and the final exam is next week. For the summer I'm going home which is on the other side of the state from where he lives (he lives in a town a little ways away from the university). So I'm wondering is there anyway to stay in contact with him?

Facebook would have been a good choice but... well, you know. And it won't change till he decided to accept or deny the request so that's no good. I feel like it's too early to give him my phone number given we would have only spoken a couple times. Is there any other way to do this or should I just try to pick it back up when I come back in the fall?

Ok, I'm done freaking myself out over this. :grin:

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You've offered him a way to stay in touch. It's going to be up to him whether or not to take it. :slight_smile:

Lex