1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So confused and stuck :(

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by itIsMe, Apr 15, 2011.

1. itIsMe

I don't know what to do...I don't know what I want to do.
    I could simply come out to someone, but I won't do it.
    I could just talk with a bi friend of mine, but I won't do it.

I feel like I was walking on a straight road that has just ended, and now...I don't know where to go. What is the good path? Was I even in the good road?

I have this feeling of not wanting to do anything, because there is something that prevents me from doing so. So I try to find out what this "something" is...and I don't find it! What is this?

What I have to do in order to have a clear idea on where to go? Wish I could have a paper with all my bad feelings listed and the directions to get over them :frowning2:

Sorry for the rant...I just needed to write something...

2. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Each of us have been stuck in this rut my friend.

You have created the illusion that you dont know where to go. However, I think you know.
    The best solution, if you feel this way, is to try and tell someone. The feeling that you have no where to go is probably you mind telling itself that you are ready. You feel anxious, but resistant, and that is normal.

Try and muster the courage to tell someone.
    This friend of yours sounds like a good candidate.

I hope for the best,

3. itIsMe

Thanks for the reply, Tyler. I bet you're right. However...it's so difficult...
    This friend knows I'm gay, and it's ok with it, so... why I don't start a chat conversation with him? It's all done! I must be stupid or something... Maybe is the "making it real" thing?
    I need to get this courage to take the step...where do I find it? Who knows...

4. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey, a lot of people have these feelings before they come to terms with their own sexuality. unfortunately, there is no right path, just YOUR path, be true to yourself and do things in your own time, if you feel like its time, then go for it, but there is no deadline looming overhead, no big gay buzzer that goes off if you're not out when you walk into the bars =P
    I think it be a good idea to take some time and really think about how you feel about yourself, its important to love yourself, I think once you're more comfortable with how you're feeling, and who you are, that the anxiety of talking about it will pass.

5. itIsMe

Thanks for the advice Toneth. I think you're right. I'm still not accepting myself completely. I know I'm gay, and I accept that internally, but not externally. I can't say it loud and I would get blushed if people looked at me knowing I'm gay.
    So I suppose that's the next step, finish my "acceptance phase". Let's focus on that... :/

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

6. Mogget

You want a list with all your bad feelings with solutions attached? Well, start with a list of bad feelings, then write more lists. What are you experiencing? What challenges do you face? What do you want to do that you can't? It sounds to me like you're experiencing mild to moderate depression, and would probably do well to seek counseling. But if you can't get counseling right now, there are people here who can walk you through some of the basics, including me.

7. itIsMe

Yeah, I have considered that maybe I'm a bit depressed. I can't get counseling right now, so I would appreciate some tips :slight_smile:

8. Gumtree

You're not stuck, you're just not going anywhere! That doesn't have to be a bad thing :slight_smile:

There's nothing wrong with not coming out!

Do some personal development; consolidate how you feel, what makes you feel this way, what could be an anomaly and what's becoming a pattern.

9. itIsMe

Thanks Gumtree! As I can see, the best I can do is clarify my feelings before I come out.
    In addition, talk to my friend would be a good idea also, as he would (hopefully) help me with this. As for the little bit of depression, if I get the courage to start doing something of this, maybe "it gets better" :slight_smile:
    I "only" need this courage...time to go for it I think!
    Thanks again guys :slight_smile:

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll let you know what helped me during my depression periods.

1. Change. Shake things up. Take a new way to school and to work. If you usually walk, take your bike. If you usually listen to music, try turning it off. Or if you usually listen to rock, listen to jazz, or punk, or classical. If you usually watch comedies, watch a documentary, or an old film. Read different things, eat different things. Simple things like this helped nudge me out of depressive moods from time to time.

2. Move. The more exercise I got, the better I felt. If you're not an exerciser by nature, start. Even just walking around the block a few times can help.

3. Stay social. Don't retreat into yourself. Talk to your friends, your parents, your schoolmates, your workmates. Strike up simple conversations when you run into people.

Lex

11. itIsMe

Great ideas Lex! I fail in all three, so I should stick your post in my corkboard in order to keep them in mind! :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I'll try my best :slight_smile:

12. Dykezz

I could simply come out to someone, but I won't do it.
    I could just talk with a bi friend of mine, but I won't do it.

I don't really have advice but regarding the above I think I'm on the same boat as you.
    I was thinking about this the other day. There are some friends of mine that I know from back in school. We met about six years ago and once or twice a year we come together and do something fun together like see a movie and have dinner.
    This is the perfect opportunity for me to come out to some friends. And for some reason I'm not jumping up and down to do it. I have no idea why though. I don't feel like I am scared or something. I don't know what is holding me back. Somtimes I think because I've never told anyone for so long its kinda like a bad habbit for me to stay in the closet. I have done it for so long that the change is really what is bothering me.

Someone mentioned accepting yourself externally. That's a really good point. Because I think I have accepted myself internally. But externally not quite. But doesn't that happend when you've come out to more people?

What you said about not wanting to talk to a friend about it also applies to me.
    I told my sister last june I think that I'm gay. And since than we have not talked about it. Eventhough I would like to know if she has gotten used to the idea, I have not mentioned it. To be honest I don't want to because in the mean time there were signs that she was not ok with it. The sad thing is that we are really close and talk about everything else.

13. itIsMe

Yep, Dykezz...it's the same feeling I think :S
    Maybe we just need to start doing something in order to get this "drive" that is lacking right now. We need to force ourselves to do something, to take a step forward...and when this happens, we'll feel the need and the desire to continue.
    I suppose that your situation is like mine: we're ok in the closet. We want to come out, and be free...one of this days, but is so scaring, and it supposes a lot of "energy", and well...after all...in the closet, we're fine, aren't we?
    We will have to start doing something without really wanting it...and see what happens :/

14. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've known two guys who I'm pretty sure are gay, but they never told me. One of them, who was a pretty good friend, passed away recently so I'll never get to tell him, and I thought I finally might this spring. The other one is a work acquaintance. One excuse I've had for not telling either one is that I didn't want to lead them on or have them feel like I'm using them to help me come out/go to bar with me.

You and I could both feel confident that these people we know would be supportive, yet we don't say anything. I think what Dykezz said about it's a bad habbit is true for me. I've said nothing for so long that it's just normal for me to be alone and always wanting a guy I can't have. I think I like blaming being single on not being out.

I like your idea about, "..the directions to get over them". That would be awesome :slight_smile:

Hang in there, buddy!

15. itIsMe

I'm sorry about your friend, mnguy :frowning2:
    As I said, we need to get the drive from nowhere in order to "start up" with the process, and after that, we'll want to continue. "We need to get the drive to get the drive" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    At least, it's what I'm hopping will occur!