1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

wow, epiphany...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by tired_of_lying411, Mar 21, 2006.

1. tired_of_lying411

Well, I was commenting on another thread yesterday, and reflecting upon it today, when I noticed...
    I had been saying to disreguard friends who dont accept you because they arent really your friends... When I am doing the EXACT same thing!
    I was so happy this year, because all the popular kids have begun to accept me (as my straight fecade that is) and I was really glad about that, but I am almost certain that they like me because of who I pretend to be, not because thay think that I am gay... although, there are moments when I am just not sure...

Wow. Hypocrite?

But they are good people. really. They're good friends for right now at least. I would hate to loose them, but when I come out, I wont be hiding it from anyone...

And I can't wait until that day comes...

2. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Hmmm - maybe... But it's a lot easier to see things in other people's situations when posted on sites like this, than it is to see them in your own situation.

You can easily say to someone "they are not true friends, dump them". But when you are in that position and they are real people that you see every day and generally enjoy their company, it isn't so easy. Especially if you don't have any other groups of friends to turn to. Do you put up with them not being fully accepting, or do you put yourself in a position where you could have no friends?

No friend is perfect. If the positives outweigh the negatives they are probably good enough for now. Especially if that's the best you've got!

Perhaps gradual changes to who you really are would be a way forward? Dramatic changes will cause people to distance themselves from you - it's a natural reaction. Maybe let then see you eyeing other guys, and just brush it off (without denying anything) if they say something. Maybe start wearing a small AIDS ribbon badge? Tell them you are goong to see Brokeback Mountain and see if any of them want to join you? Gradually they may get the hint, and by the time they get to the point of asking you they have probably sussed it out for themselves anyway.

3. tired_of_lying411

Wow, that sounds like fun actually. But for right now, I am definitely not ready for that. The farthest I've gone is tell them, yes, I do straighten my hair every day. (which is a really gay thing to do) I think that maybe they would accept me. I can see them individually asking me after I say or do something, and I could just be like yeah.

some day...

4. goratrix

In my experience, popular kids aren't always the cold hearted bitches that american sit-coms show... they are usually people with great social skills... and comfortable with themselves... so... perhaps they'll be accepting... who knows... (actually you could know)

5. tired_of_lying411

yes, and I really think that I DO know, they seem to stick up for me even when the gay sleur comes up. They really seem like true friends and they even choose me (ie sports teams, group work) without me even going to them