1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Kids coming out very young

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by xballetxbeautyx, Apr 20, 2011.

1. Hey guys, I know I haven't been around much lately but I was having trouble finding some info and thought I'd pop in. I'm an officer of our school's "diversity club" - we don't have a real GSA but this is the closest thing - and the teacher/sponsor brought up a question that a friend of hers had asked her. The friend's son is in elementary school, I'm not sure what grade but maybe second or third, and he has come out already. The mom is completely fine with it, and so far the kids in his class are too, but she's worried for how people will treat him as he gets older. The teacher asked us to find any information we could about this.

The kid is not transgender (I don't think... though she did mention something about a different child...) but I think the documentary about the MTF child named Josie would be a good one anyway... does anyone know the name of it? I also thought of getting some PFLAG information to her. Any other ideas? Documentaries, articles, etc.? Thanks!

2. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    PFLAG is a great resource indeed. I'm not really sure why you're looking up trans-related stuff, you said the child isn't trans, so is he or she gay? Or are you also looking around in regards to the other child too. In either case, PFLAG could be the only resource you'd need to look around for. Other than that, just do some google searches and such. I'm sure others have some good ideas as well.

3. InaRut

Personally, to me it's better to get the kid out as soon as possible. Although it might be hard to accept that this kid "truly" knows what he wants at such a young age, and he may finds these feelings change as he gets into puberty, at the same time this could save him this confusion that becomes triple-fold angsty during the teen years.

Perhaps sexuality is better accepted at a young age under this logic. If he accepts "homosexuality" at such a young age it might prevent him from "acting out" in his later years that become symptomatic of the "new gay." [Quotes galore]

Plus just from my own observation we are developing into a society where there is less homosexuality, and perhaps by the time of his "golden years" he won't even have to worry about homosexuality.

As for articles, movies, and research? I think you should make a point on how accessible sexual education is and how much support exists for homosexual people or children.

4. I wasn't looking for trans info specifically, I already knew about the documentary and it came to mind because the girl in it was so young and the parents were incredibly supportive and seemed to deal with adversity really well. Yeah, I figured PfLAG would be the best bet.

As for Google, I typed in "young kids coming out" which turned up nothing, and then "elementary kids coming out" with similar results, and without thinking I then typed in "young gay kids". Not a good plan. :lol: But thanks, I will keep looking.

5. Aya McCabre

I would start by looking for studies showing (or not showing) a correlation between bullying and the length of time someone has been out for.