1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dating is intimidating

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Fluffster, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Fluffster

I feel like I am way too old to be having this problem. Ummmmm, so I would like to start dating women and I have no experience in dating women and little sexual experience with women. I am definitely attracted to women, but I feel like a teenager and I don't know where to begin. I have been dating men my whole dating life, but that is not what I want to be doing right now. I don't know if I am gay or bi, but finding a label isn't very important to me right now. What is important is that I want to put myself out there and start dating women, but I am sooo intimidated. Like, I feel like my lack of experience would be a huge turn off. I don't have anyone I feel comfortable talking to about this......but I have pretty much known that I wanted to date girls since high school but just kind of pushed it aside because it was scary and intimidating. Well, high school was more than 10 years ago so if I don't start now I don't know when I will. Any advice?

2. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

First off, welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

It sounds like you have it down and ready to go :slight_smile: Dating a guy or a girl really isn't all that different. Maybe the only difference that I have encounter is that you don't have to worry about strictly following gender roles anymore, which is always a plus haha Your inexperience should only scare people who are in it for only sex so you have nothing to worry about :slight_smile:

Another thing is that maybe you could focus on expanding your "gay network" as well. That way you can meet some interesting people and you increase your chances of meeting someone special. Plus, its always fun :slight_smile:

3. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    its not so different at all, and I agree with Gus about expanding your gay ring of friends, the more you know, the more people they will introduce you to, its a great domino effect.
    good luck finding that special girl :slight_smile:

4. InaRut

I guess that's why it's called intimi---DATING
    *SHAZAWOO!*

Hahahahaha sorry. A little pun never hurt anyone.

But I think you need to consider dating less as somesort of rule defined (by scared laws?) activity and just try and accept it naturally. Thing should not be really that different from dating men. Maybe it'll be weird when the guy doesn't pay for the bill or hold open the door for you but is that really that important?

5. lighttrc

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Kinda right were ya are. I have dated and married twice yet always found myself attractive to women. And like my relationships were missing something. Now trying to accept that im gay and start dating women is very weird I agree.. And many have advised start networking with others...Well may sound funny guys were and how do ya find others to start networking...Sorry small town

6. socalguitarguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm 27 and only went on a single date before this year, back when I was 23, and that was with a girl. Now since February I've been on dates with seven different guys, all found through online dating websites. I can't name them on here apparently, but they're some of the common ones (one paid, one free). It's been a pretty painless way to enter the dating world, since there's no asking someone out in person.

As for the inexperience thing . . . well, that's something I'm struggling with too. I actually opened another thread about that. One guy I really liked ended up not wanting to date me anymore because of it . . . but other guys had no problem with it at all. It just depends. I wouldn't advertise your newbie status during the first date, but later on if it comes up in conversation I would be honest. If someone really likes you and isn't dealing with their own issues (as the one guy who dumped me was), they'd be foolish to let a petty thing like inexperience be a deal breaker.