1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how do you come out and not worry about other people's reactions?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by BettyBoopGuido, Apr 23, 2011.

1. BettyBoopGuido

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people

hi all,
    okay i am back... this time somewhat differently... i am having a lot of things in my head right now and trying to work through it all and not go crazy... now the thing is, i am looking to come out of my shell and possibly get out and meet lesbians- i am on a lesbian chat site now and love it, but am thinking of venturing out of my shell to do that... now the only problem i am having is that i am not out to much of anyone(the only people who know are a few friends of mine and my mom) and i sort of want to change that but sort of don't..sometimes it seems like i do want to come out and start living for myself and then part of me decides not to.... i am hesitant on coming out more because of reactions in the past that have not been so good- namely from my mom and this one girl i was friends with...
    my dilema is, how do you stop worrying about all this and be yourself without caring what other people think?

2. Hot Pink

I don't really think there is anyone who has come out and didn't worry about how people would react. I was in the closet for 13 years because I was afraid of losing my family.

Eventually, though, you get to the point where you just want to be happy. The closet isn't a healthy place for anyone. It limits your experiences to this tiny speck. I felt like I hadn't lived at all until I came out. You just have to take a deep breath and take the plunge.

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You don't. You're going to worry - I think everybody does to some extent. The key is to do it regardless. :slight_smile:

Lex

4. AtmaWeapon

I agree that you will worry, but I believe the more you accept yourself as you are and the more you look out for your own well-being, the less of a concern it will be.

5. Mogget

Ultimately, I came out because I felt like my friends deserved to know I was gay. It was an important aspect of my identity, and they deserved to know it. IOW, I'd've felt shitty not telling them. Which doesn't mean I didn't worry. I worried like hell that my best friend in high school would reject me.

6. Hot Pink

I agree that it is better to tell your friends and family. It's much better than surprising them later with a same-sex partner.

7. TraceElement

I stoped caring when I realized that I want to be able to talk about any and all of my crushes in front of my coworkers, and that I just want to be me without having to front all the time. Does this mean that they all know? No. I have slowly stopped caring if people overhear me and someone who knows talking about whatever. People will find out eventually, and although now I wish everyone knew I am bi, I also realize it is still a process, and I have become more confident in who I truly am, and know that in time everyone will know.

8. BettyBoopGuido

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    hi everyone.
    i have been re-reading all the replies and i can't thank you all enough... the main idea i am getting is that i am going to worry about what people think when i come out and just to do it regardless, am i right? i can definitely say that is has been a thought of mine for quite some time- just the other day i was a bbq with my mom and some of her friends and the topic came up of her friend's daughter getting a roommate and how her mom didn't want it to be a lesbian.. and i am sitting there like WTF?! but i didn't want to get into it cause we were at a bbq but, i was just stunned...

with that said, right now, i am not sure who i am going to tell and when- my advisor at school pointed out that no body really has to know and that if i have to think about telling someone, it's not the right time...

9. Giorria

Giorria Guest

I was worried when coming out because of the oldschool stigmas and stereotypes that people label gay/bisexual people with, and my Mum had made some homophobic comments in the past. Coming out is that one thing I had to do to regain some of my happiness and self respect, the more I pretended to people the more I dug a massive hole of sadness for myself. After coming out to my family nothing much changed, they still love me like they did before and I have become a more confident person because of it. I think my parents are more understanding of gays now they have one as a son, when I came out they had to seek help from friends who told them "so what, hes gay but hes still your son" and other things like that.

Apart from my family and friends who I care for, no ones opinion actually matters. One person even changed their opinion on gays raising kids and tells me that I would make a good Dad someday, having friends like this is also a massive confidence booster. I no longer care who knows, whether its me who tells them or someone else.

You need to make sure that you are 100% ready to come out, even if its going to be difficult to say that one little phrase "I'm gay/lesbian/bisexual". Whether the reactions are good or bad, you have to know that you are doing the right thing for yourself in coming out to the world. Anybody who is going to make an issue of your sexuality is not worth your time, theres more to you then that one thing.

10. stageone

Tell the people who matter to you when you are good & ready. For anyone else, it shouldn't really be relevant. I am debating whether to tell my mom & bros (I'm an adult so getting kicked out/disowned is not a threat). The fact is, we don't normally discuss our sex lives... so it would kind of be out of nowhere... When I leave my husband I will tell them, because then it becomes essential information. My daughter will need to be told before then so she can deal with one shock at a time. Hubby already knows. Once the important people know, there will be nothing anyone can hold over my head so I don't really care what the general population thinks or says. But I'm a small-town girl and have become desensitized to being talked about :/

11. BettyBoopGuido

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @Glorria, i see what you mean about coming out and making sure i am 100% ready... and i completely agree...when i told the people i told, i realized it was the right time... now i am- and having been thinking of coming out agian- because i am looking for a potential girlfriend through a lesbian chat site... however, when i think about telling the rest of my family, i realize just how not ready i am...

@stageone- i must say i absolutely agree on the idea of telling who i want when i am ready... my mom knows but as for my brother and my sister in law, i can't imagine telling them although they probably either have an idea or else they keep believing that i am not interested in anyone...my dad and i aren't that close so the idea of telling him isn't practical- i talk to him almost everyday but it's pretty much about the weather, daily stuff etc. nothing really personal...

---------- Post added 25th Apr 2011 at 04:46 PM ----------

All right... soo after reading all the replies i have gotten i am to the point where i am starting to see that coming out further would make things easier cause i wouldn't have that to stress over and then i am thinking it's still not the right time.... as i said it is still confusing for me...

12. TraceElement

When I came out to my first coworker, I was very nervous, but I also knew he would be cool with it.
    The people you come out to that support you and and still consider you their friend after you come out to them are the people you need to surround yourself with and tell first. They will be your support network when you come out to people who are not as accepting, or are leery about the LGBT community and do not quite understand the community.

13. BettyBoopGuido

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    @TraceElement- i get what you mean... after i came out to someone i thought was my best friend, she said she accepted it and then acted really weird toward me to the point where we were not talking and all the times i tried to call her and make an effort, she never responded and so i took the hint and let her go... between my advisor Julio and my best friend matt, i would go crazy if not for them... after telling my mom, we don't talk about much because either she doesn't want to hear it or she's not going to listen... so that is how it has been for me... i sometimes think about telling the rest of my family, but if things are awkward between my mom and i around that issue, then i feel it's not the right time to tell anyone else...

14. Giorria

Giorria Guest

Personally I felt that it was right to let my family know before I found any potential boyfriends, I wouldn't want to be announcing that I have a boyfriend before they knew I was gay because it may of upset them from finding out that way. Be vigilant of those you speak to online, I know not everyones out to cause harm/hurt but just make sure you really know who you're talking to. I've actually met 2 people I spoke to online (not for dating or through dating sites) and they've been nice people but I practically knew their lives before I met up with them.