1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*PLEASE HELP* how do i deal with my mum who's taken me coming out really badly.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Just Jodie, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Just Jodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    I'm just about to turn 16. please dont anyone comment on my age because im sick of it , i know that im young but this is not a phase im aware of my feelings.
    my mum found out i was gay when i was 14, i say found out because i didnt tell her , she found a note to my girlfriend. i know this is a really bad way for her to find out but thats over a year ago now. however she still has a huge problem with me being gay.
    she makes it difficult for me to see my girlfriend and wont let us act like a couple around her. this leds to me sneeking around which my girlfriends mum is against, understandably . i know that i need to talk to my mum, but shes not a very aproachable person and i have no idea what to say.

please please please can some one help me this is tearing me and my girlfriend apart, not only that me and my mum are like total strangers.

thanks in advance jodie. x

2. Hot Pink

Well, it sounds like you're in a situation where somethings is going to give. Either you need to confront your mother and let her know that you aren't ashamed of who you are and you aren't going to pretend to be just to make her comfortable; or, your girlfriend will lose her patience.

It's a tough situation and the only thing you can do in this situation is to be tough too. I know talking to your parents is tough--believe me--but you also have to understand that your girlfriend may not put up with this much longer. Your mom already knows, so you need to sit down and just talk to her. Tell her you're tired of sneaking around. Maybe get your girlfriiend's mother to help you out.

3. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    I had a problem like this when I came out to someone I trusted completely- she's still really uncomfortable with it, even though we're family. I would just tell her how you feel- but try not to blame her because that usually ends with a fight. Be honest and remember that she's your mom and she loves you, but shes probably scared or worried for you and doesn't know how to talk about it. Its up to you to initiate the conversation.

4. Just Jodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thankyou. me and my girlfriend know excatly where we stand when it comes to my mum. i would happly move out and have nothing to do with her. but thats not yet an option that i have .
    i dont know what im suposed to say to my mum shes totaly against me being gay and cant understand that im not doing it to hurt her. she said that she would treat my girlfriend just how she would treat a boyfriend but she isnt.
    before my mum found out she would suport me in everything i did now we dont even have a convosation i feel like im being made to leed two seperate lives

5. Hot Pink

Maybe you need to make her realize that she's pushing you away. She probably fears losing you more than anything.

6. Just Jodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thankyou so much you've really helped :slight_smile:

7. Eleanor Rigby

Hi Jodie and welcome to EC :slight_smile:
    I am sorry your mum is reacting this way to the fact you're gay. You know, very often, homophobic reactions come from misconceptions about what it means to be gay. The best thing you can do to help your mum to understand better and to accept you the way you are is to be open about it.
    Let her know how her behavior makes you feel (without getting angry at her if possible), tell her that you understand that this is hard for her too and that if she has any questions, she is welcome to ask you about anything.
    This is a link to a PFLAG booklet that you may want to print for her : http://www.pflag.org/fileadmin/user_upload/Publications/Daughters_Sons.pdf
    I know this is not going to be a piece of cake. It's hard to be a teenager, being gay is kind of the icing on the cake, and it's not easy to be confident enought to openly talk about it, especially with family members who are not supportive, but the best way to help your mother becoming more acceptant is to educate her on that matter.
    Be patient, it can takes time and lot of discussion, and maybe you're going to face anger and bitterness from your mother, but hopefully it's going to be worth the efforts.
    Take care, Cécile

8. Just Jodie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Cécile,
    thankyou for your help, but i find it very difficult to talk to my mum as we rarley do any more. and we both avoid any confrontation about the subject.

9. Hot Pink

Well, Jodie, I think you two need to talk about this. Ignoring the problem is causing strain on more than just your relationship with your mother. You've said that your girlfriend's mother--and I assume your girlfriend too--hate that you're sneaking around.

You might find yourself in a situation where you have to choose: avoiding your mom and losing your girlfriend or confronting your mom. What we're saying is that it's best to avoid that situation altogether. You're going to be in your mother's house for another four years, you need to think about the longterm.

10. TheJoker

Don't worry,you'll be fine.Negativity from outside can't bring you down. You are 16, you already know what you feel and want, you have a girlfriend..your mom already aware.Just a matter of time.You are doing fine.Actually you are doing excellent.It might seem to you problem now, probably in future you will say "where was the problem?"

You like your girl,she likes you.. you are okay with your sexuality.You are not living in medieval times or extremely homophobic country.Don't worry about parents, they don't dream about child being gay, its a taboo for straight people and nightmare for parents.Even, some gay people are not okay with themselves, so I can understand your mom isn't okay with it.Does it matter? Hell no..Its your life.

Good luck with your girlfriend.

11. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! As difficult as this is going to be, and talking to your mom about it, this is one of these times, were you want and need to talk to your mom. You need to sit down with her. Maybe a good way into the conversation would be through writing a letter to your mom and letting her know that you can't change who you are, and reassuring her that your sexual orientation is not going to change anything. You probably should also mention that you are sorry that she found it through a letter to your girlfriend and this is not the way you wanted her to find out.

With the letter, also include the information to which Cecile provided you a link with. But remember that you are the best person to educate your mom. As said, this is not going to be easy, but you don't have anything to lose by giving it a try and trying to engage your mom in a discussion.

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll second the idea of talking to your mother. My main advice is this, though. When you do so, be as adult and unemotional as you can possibly be. If you approach it in tears, with a "you're so awful" or a "why is the world so unfair" sort of perspective, this will make you sound childish - like an immature teenager who doesn't know how to get what she wants without throwing a fit. Instead, you need to approach her calmly and rationally. Get the facts on your side, present them logically, and show some willingness to compromise. For instance, maybe she'll let you get together at your place so long as you don't kiss in her presence. I think that'd be an acceptable compromise to make.

Lex