1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My age problem

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Miaplacidus, Nov 2, 2007.

1. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well people... this is going to explain some things. I've explained this personally to some of you, but I want everyone to know because I'm a little tired of being asked about it.

I am biologically 19 years old (nearly 20 at the moment) but I'm legally 17 (nearly 18 at the moment) due to a documentation problem... I only got an ID card two years after I was born. The story is long and the reasons have to do with my parents not being married when they, well, "made" me. In Uruguay this isn't very common, but it happens. I know personally two more people in the same situation, with even more extreme differences (2 1/2 and 3 years).

I only found out about this when I was 17 (legally 15, that is nearly three years ago). From then on, I've been using my biological age instead of the one on my ID.

However, I still feel closer to younger people, as I've shared most of my life with them (my classmates have always been younger due to the reasons above). I always feel too old, and I sometimes feel rejected because I am older, even by my friends.

Therefore, I've decided to begin using my legal age instead of my biological age. Symbolically, the change will take place on my birthday, November 20th. That day, instead of turning 20, I'll go back to 18.

Some of you may think it's stupid. But imagine having to explain this every time someone asks you how old you are, instead of just saying "I'm ...". Imagine people looking at you as a liar, because of something that isn't your fault. I get tired of that. So, now that it won't make any difference, I think I should just go back to 18 and be happier.

Any opinions on this?

2. Zorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmmm, I don't think it really matters. I would go with the legal age to tell people, then after getting to know them (and if it ever comes up) tell them about your biological age. Your legal age is the age that all your activities will be based upon where the government is concerned, so why not use it?

3. davo-man

Wow, now that is an interesting situation, but i can understand how it must be frustrating for you. I reckon you should use the legal age, and as you get older, it's going to matter less and less (by this I mean, at 40 yrs (legally) you will really be 42 yrs, and it really isnt that much difference.

Yeah, anyway, I think you should use your legal age for most things, cos then there's less confusion, and then tell people oncce you get to know them better

4. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Okay, I'm going for the legal one. What do you think I should do here on EC?

5. CelebrityHead

Interesting situation!
    Legal - keep it consistent throughout your life, I say

6. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I agree that if most of what you can do in life (driving, sex, drinking) and where you are at in life (school or college years or whatever) is controlled by your legal age and you have lived as your legal age with friends of your legal age until a couple of years ago, then it seems that it will be more comfortable and logical to use your legal age.

If you want your date of birth changed here just send me a PM and I'll do it.

7. Micah

Whatever you feel more comfortable with is best :slight_smile:

Aside from the inconvenience of having to wait longer to be "of age", I think it's actually quite an interesting story; makes your more unique :wink:

8. Ty

Ty Guest

Never heard of anything like that before, its a rather interesting situation.....just use your legal age, makes things simpler i say.

9. NkyJ

That's really interesting. I'm guessing there is no such thing as a birth certificate in Uruguay? But if you've been going through life thinking that you were your legal age, then I don't see why you should change it now. That would be a mouthful to explain every time.

10. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is, believe me. I'm utterly tired of having to explain it every time...

11. TeeBe

I had a friend in a similar situation (although with only a 7 month difference) and she managed to have it changed. She moved from Cuba to Canada. She had never intended to actually get it changed- too much work- but she wa so frusterated that evenually she did. Two Years! I suppose she must have had some sort of residual documentation to be able to do this? Did your parents not apply for a birth certificate until you were two? It is an interesting abet frustering situation.

I would probabily be more inclined to use my biological age (that whole developmental-features thing) but I guess by the time you are 19/17, everyone looks more or less the same. If you have spent more time living as your legal age, and your friends are more or less your legal age, I'd run with it. Whatever makes you happier!

12. xequar

Personally, I would look into getting your legal age changed to match your biological age. I had a friend in high school that essentially had two legal names, one from his birth certificate and most legal documents, and the one that the United States Social Security Administration decided would be better for him. He had to jump through a lot of legal hoops to get it changed, but he decided it was worth it as when he was applying for college, a lot of colleges were trying to deny him because they thought we was trying to defraud the financial aid system.

13. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

Consider yourself lucky to have the choice! :slight_smile:

I think whatever you feel the most comfortable with is the one to go with for now. Once you are in your mid 20s (when two years either way won't make any real difference) you can look into getting your legal age corrected.

Out of interest, did you find it odd when you were legally 12 or 13 that you seemed to be further developed physically than other guys supposedly your age? Or did you just think you were an early developer and not worry about it?

14. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well - I was a very early bloomer (even considering my legal age)

Considering my legal age:

* I could read and write at age 2 (no one believes that)

* When I was 12 I looked 16.

* When I was 14 I had a full beard (more or less like now)

* I had, um, "wet" orgasms at age 9. In fact, I never had a dry one.

* I was always much bigger than my classmates, until I was like 16 (legally), then they caught up. Now I'm average-looking.

* Everyone thought I was older (and not only two years older, when I was legally 14 an 18-year-old girl hit on me, thinking I was older than herself)

* Even now I look older, especially when I let my beard grow. Freshly shaved I look 19, but using GuitarGirl1350's words, when I don't shave I look way older, like twenty-something.

15. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So it has been decided. On Nov. 20th I'll be turning 18 instead of 20. I'll still be 20 for my friends, but I'll begin using my legal age. There is no difference between 18 and 20.

16. Bryan

That can actually happen?!

17. Miaplacidus

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In Uruguay it can. Authorities aren't as strict. I knew a 13 year old boy who didn't have an ID.

18. waitingsucks

I've been thinking about this 4 awhile, u should get the ppl who run ec 2 make the age section bigger so you can explain it. I think tho that in anything that it's important to use the legal age use that but 4 everything else just biological! ur choice tho!

19. Ilayis

Ilayis Guest

That is interesting,I have nothing really to say as everyone has already said it.

20. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

I have just changed Fred's date of birth here so he will have his 18th birthday tomorrow. :thumbsup: