1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Attraction...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bolin, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Bolin

Okay...So, I've been thinking about this a lot recently. I'm African American, but I'm mostly attracted Caucasians, Hispanics and Koreans. I'm very rarely attracted to men of my race. I've been trying to figure out why, and it's been bothering me. I think, for the most part, it's because I've been picked on ever since kindergarten about "not being black enough" and about talking and acting "white" by people of my own race (even members of my own family). Almost all of my friends at school were white, and although I tried to make friends with people of my own race, they would just laugh whenever I approached them or speak to me in a condescending tone. I feel like this has affected my attraction to men. But whenever I ponder about this, it makes me feel like I'm being racist against my own race, and it's REALLY been bugging me a lot more than usual recently.

Is it normal for me to feel this way? Has anybody else felt like this? :icon_sad:

2. Witchcraft

Witchcraft Guest

It's not racism, at least I don't think it should be. I feel that way too, and my family members have also commented on things like how I'm not into their type music and stuff like that (I'm Mexican btw), maybe it's just cuse I want something different than what I usually see? :s

3. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    You're attracted to who you're attracted to. Its not like you tell yourself you aren't attracted to certain people, its just something you feel.

4. IanGallagher

I never thought I'd go for black girls. There's one black girl where I "work" that I like a lot. I would go with her. Which is interesting because I've been attracted to more guys than people of different skin colors for some reason and I'm not racist. Just, don't discount never - like anything else there might be a great black guy you fall for at some point.

5. Mogget

My inclination is to believe that when we aren't attracted to people of a certain race it's because we've been culturally conditioned to see that race as non-beautiful. It doesn't make you a racist, it makes our culture racist and your attractions a victim of that.

6. carbon

Out Status:
    A few people
    I've always seemed to be attracted to guys and girls of any other race (one race in particular) more than my own for whatever reason, although I am still attracted to my own.

Everyone has their own attractions, although that doesn't make you racist.

Maybe the personalities of the guys around you aren't your type, which could possibly influence your general attraction. Just keep an open mind.

7. Danny19

I dont think there is anything wrong with it. Im mexican and i am just really attracted to white guys. i just love em. That doesnt mean i wouldnt date any other race. Its not like you can help you feel attracted to, if that was possible then some of us wouldnt be gay. I think that its perfectly fine

8. Bolin

Okay, thanks. I feel a little more at peace with myself. This was really bugging me.

9. bbqlol10

Taecyon Oppa? Haha I like your screen name!

Well, I am attracted to many different races too. Less of mine though. I guess its because all of my friends have been/are Vietnamese and I've been so traumatized when they started joking around about my sexuality.

On less serious matters, I usually watch Korean dramas if there's an attractive Actor. Call me a raging fan girl! Fuuuck, I get it.