1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Here's one for ya...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by MidnightRadio, Apr 25, 2011.

1. MidnightRadio

Out Status:
    A few people
    I wasn't sure where to post this or if there was already a thread concerning it, but here I go: when coming out, how many of you have been told you're "acting different" by people that have known you for years? Additionally, who of you has been unable to answer, felt like no answer was good enough, or simply felt that weren't required to give an answer? :bang: This drives me crazy! Any and all answers will be greatly appreciated.

2. Fairybread

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  3. Hot Pink

I haven't gotten that yet. Honestly, it's probably something that I want to hear in my case. lol

4. Eleanor Rigby

I can't talk from personal experience of course, but I imagine being out makes you (counciously or not) feel allowed to be yourself. For that reason, maybe some people are acting slightly different after coming out, because a part of themselves that used to be repressed is not anymore.
    I noticed that when one of my friend came out to me a few years ago. After coming out, he changed slightly. He was still the same adorable guy he always had been, but he became more open, more confident and started to talk about things he used to never mention before (his feelings for example). I just assume that it was because he was feeling better in his own skin (wich can't be ignored, he was glowing basicaly) and was happy for him.
    That is possible also that the people you came out to now notice a few things in your behavior that they are able to connect to the fact you're gay or transgender, while before they simpley ignored them.

I think that this kind of comments (especially if they are aggressive instead of just being a random comment) don't necessarily need to be answered. But if you do want to answer them, do that calmly, with a big smile and say something like "You know, it's just who I am, and I'm happy to be truly myself now". If people around you feel it doesn't bug you and that you're happy in your own skin, they are likely going to stop their comments.
    Take care, Cécile

5. Aya McCabre

I haven't had it said to me, but I knew someone who changed noticeably after coming out. It was just a confidence thing - he stopped hiding when he realised no one cared.

6. rangerfan

Out Status:
    All but family
    I have only come out to certain group of my friends, some of the guessed I liked guys and also girls already so they weren't that surprise. But the people who I have told and didn't suspect anything, they were shocked at first but they have gotten use to me being bi and having boyfriend.

But I have had some friends not a whole lot, like the guys who I play sports with, act differently around me, I think it is it the whole persona of me liking guys that they think I have massive crushes on them and I only did sports to look at guys.

But yeah certain people change around you when you come out, I just don't really associate with those people anymore, and only hang out with friends who have accepted for who I am. Like I have done, you can still be friends with these people, but think of your friends who have accepted for who you are.

7. Holmes

I don't think I've changed in how anyone sees me since I've come out, I think I'm just generally a little more open and confident.

Can I be a little snarky and suggest that the title on the thread should have a clue about it's subject? I think this is an interesting topic, and I'd be interested really how others do see me, it's something I'd like to ask them. But I might have missed the topic with this title.

8. MidnightRadio

Out Status:
    A few people
    Brilliant, Holmes! lol That's a very good idea, but I have no clue how to change the title. Maybe copy and paste it and post it as a new subject? idk...

9. Holmes

You could PM an admin.

Sorry, I didn't notice you had only three posts, including this one. Welcome here, I hope you enjoy it, get something from it.