1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parents hate me

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by SallyFishsticks, Apr 26, 2011.

1. SallyFishsticks

I don't know what else to do. I came out to my parents and they disowned me. They are very religious people. They told me god created Adam and Eve. Not Adam and Steve and now I'm apparently going to burn in hell. They pretty much said I'm not their son anymore. I don't have many friends I can ask for help. I don't know how much more I can take. I feel like I'm worthless and I have no purpose.

2. Beachboi92

Well first off your not worthless and u do have a purpose so don't get down on yourself. My first suggestion is to find some people who are going to be more supportive and try coming out to them. It's important when coming out to try and get as many people on your side as you can before taking on the bigger people. That way you can have someone closer to you to talk to. Also try finding a local PFLAG chapter or your school GSA or any other LGBT organization. It is important right now that you build a support base close to home that you can depend on.

Now going to your parents there are a few things to keep in mind. First you have to remember that coming out is hard for parents to accept. Their reaction may be more intense at first and THEY MAY calm down and be slightly better about it in the future. Right now all you can do is give them time and space. It may be in your interest to have resources ready for the local PLFLAG chapter and a local LGBT friendly church encase you get an opportunity to present that stuff to them. Also arm yourself with information and educate yourself on the religious arguments against homosexuality and how to defend your position with religious text/ideas. Many denominations now accept LGBT people, figure out if your parents church does by researching the denomination they are a part of.

In addition if you are feeling depressed you may want to ask to see a councilor or psychiatrist. Depression is dangerous and you shouldn't let it loom around without trying to talk about it or seek treatment. In addition any legitimate psychologist or psychiatrist which abides by the APA's rules will be on your side when it comes to coming out and may provide help in the struggles you may face with your parents.

Remember that your not alone and that you do have friends and family that care for you. Right now your parents do not realize how harmful what they are saying to you is but it will get better with time. Feel free to PM me anytime if you need someone to talk to (*hug*)

3. rangerfan

Out Status:
    All but family
    You are not a worthless person, you are a person who is themselves, you should not be ashamed of yourself, you are who you are. I am so sorry that your parents are behaving like this, I am also dealing with my parents being religious too.

You can always ask anybody on this site for help, they are some of the nicest and kindest people I have talked to. If you ever need to talk someone about anything, anything at all, just send me message and I will help you as best as I can.

I agree with what becahboi said, try to find a local chapter of PFLAG or and LGBT Organization, they have helped me out so much with family issues. And you do have people that care about you. (*hug*)

4. carbon

Out Status:
    A few people
    You're not worthless and God definitely doesn't hate you. Everyone has a purpose, that's why we're here as we are.
    The other guys have already given great advice, I just wanted to add my support.

5. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    your parents might come around, they might not, but what matters is how you feel about yourself. they may be close minded people, but you're not stuck being the same as they are, be true to yourself, and lean on the few friends you have, if you have to, make a new family.
    as far as adam and eve are concerned, the bible also allows for slavery and the abuse of women, but they probably won't be as keen on those ideas, or you could point out that there are about 10 times the admonishments against heterosexual sex compared to those against homosexual sex.
    the bible is a book, its the good book, but a book nonetheless. follow your own beliefs, and do what you know is right, heaven has a place for you too.
    and you're welcome to hit me up too if you need a shoulder :slight_smile: