1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out Twice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hot Pink, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Hot Pink

I guess I'm unique here a little bit because I get to come out twice when I come out to people. I tell people I'm transgender and while they're still dizzy from that, I knock them out by telling them I'm also a lesbian!

Okay, in all seriousness, this is really awkward for me. What's weird about it is that people seem to be more accepting of me as a transgender than a lesbian.

When I came out to my parents, I just told them that I was a girl. Not that I wanted to be one, but I was one already. They told me they knew and everything was cool. A little later, sexuality came up. When I told them I was a lesbian, they seem to get shocked. For whatever reason, I still don't think they're 100% okay with me being a lesbian. Transgender: okay; lesbian: no.

They still have my back and love me, so it's not a huge issue...yet. Apparently, they must already see me as a daughter of sorts because they see me liking girls as being homosexual. They want me to be straight. Awkward...

2. Daryn

Why are there eggs scrambling in the street?
    I think maybe its just hard for some people to grasp transgender and homosexuality at the same time. I mean, if they were cool about you telling them you are a girl, then there's a good chance they'll accept that you're a lesbian as well. Maybe just give them some time- you've known for a long time, they are only just now finding out about it.

3. Jim1454

^ Agreed.

Just give them time. For straight people, they would assume that if you're a girl you must like boys. Otherwise, if you already like girls, why not stay a boy and be straight. It is a complex situation that is going to continue to pose challenges I'm afraid.

But we're all here to help where we can.