1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My sister's homophobic in-laws

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Hot Pink, Apr 28, 2011.

1. Hot Pink

This isn't a big shocker for me. I knew ever since they opened their big mouths about their views on homosexuality, that we were not going to get along. They don't believe homosexuals are born that way; they think it's a choice and the wrong one. They have told Lucas, my sister's husband, not to tolerate homosexuality at all--right in front of me.

Now, before this happened, I thought they were nice people. I used to visit their house and such, but I never went back after that event. I have always been vocal on my opinions about homosexuality in my family, so when they were saying these things at a family gathering, they got them to stop. Also, my family doesn't share these views at all.

Now, the problem I'm facing now is with Lucas. My sister definitely told him because he was acting strange around me at Easter. He was trying too hard to "guy it up" with me and I felt very uncomfortable. I always feel uncomfortable when guys try to interact with me like any other guy--for obvious reasons. It doesn't help that I don't really have any male social skills.

I'm really not looking forward to the next time I see his parents. I don't think that situation is going to be pleasant.

2. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

I'm sorry about your situation. (*hug*)

Maybe you can ask your sister if you can tell Lucas to back off on the "guy talk". Gladly you don't have to see his parents all of the time. Do they know about you? If you got along well and they hadn't known about you, maybe they'd re-think their opinions at least somewhat. If they do know about you, then that's a tougher call.

3. zeratul

zeratul Guest

Is it possible that Lucas is just being Lucas and not overly guy talking?

Remember that we run into people from all walks-of-life, each having a different quirkiness about them and yet we still have to deal with them for business, for family connection, for friendship, etc.

Perhaps if Lucas is overly macho of a guy and thats how he interacts with all other people, then it would be selfish to consider that you should ask him to tone it down in front of you.

Just a thought.

---------- Post added 29th Apr 2011 at 05:01 AM ----------

And as for the sisterly in-laws, they have no relation to you what-so-ever and you do not ever have to deal with them again :grin: