1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am i the only one?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Justme123, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Justme123

Now, theoretically, I know the answer is no. But my experience tells me otherwise. How come out of all my friends over the years, none of them are gay (are out)? And if there are some that are in the closet, how did I not ever connect with someone like that.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's funny reading a thread called "Am I the only one?" from a member named "Justme". :slight_smile:

Of my high school friends, to the best of my knowledge, I remain the only out homosexual. I have two from college, but one was more or less out by the time I met him, so that doesn't really count.

What exactly do you mean by "How did I not ever connect with someone like that"? Meaning, how did you not ever go out with them? Or go to bed with them? Um, because they were in the closet, and therefore not letting anybody know they were gay and interested in dating/fooling around. That's kind of how that works. And if you were closeted, too, the chances of finding each other become pretty much zero.

Lex

3. Holmes

Part of answering this would be easier if we knew how old you are. I do think it quite unlikely, tho not impossible (statistically anything could happen), that no one else you know is gay. If you're eighteen, it's not that unusual that you wouldn't have met other gay friends; far less likely at 30. It also depends on the size of your group and your school. You can assume that a small proportion of your wider circle are gay, but you can't be sure till they come out or it's otherwise confirmed.

4. Lotty

Depends on how many friends you have, too. I have four really close friends, and for the rest, well, sort of friends, but I can't imagine any of them is gay. Well, one, maybe.
    And, if they are gay, well, that's their business, isn't it. If they want to tell me, great, but I couldn't care less. Yeah, nice to know, though, but not really a big deal for me.

5. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

It may have to do with the community you live in. If you come from a community that isn't too open to homosexuality, then the odds are low that many people are going to come out of the closet.