1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Asking for spiritual advice

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mogget, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Mogget

So I've come to the conclusion that I need a better spiritual foundation; a better sense of awe, wonder, and gratitude; a stronger connection to the universe and possibly the divine. And I'd really like someone to help work with me on that. I've been sporadically attending services at the local synagogue and really like the rabbi there. I'm not a member of the congregation, but I'd like to go to him for spiritual counseling. Would it be appropriate of me to ask him and, if so, how should I approach him? I suppose I could look into the UU (Universalist Unitarian) fellowship, too, but I have family ties to Judaism and would rather find a spiritual home there than with UU.

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's absolutely fine to go to a rabbi even if you are not a member of the congregation; clergy realize that many are seeking, and so by openly communicating with those that reach out, sometimes they help people to become more connected and to become part of the congregation.

I would suggest, if you have questions about what flavor of spirituality connects for you (family ties don't necessarily speak to what your own personal calling might be) then talking to the pastor at the UU, or even other spiritual people might be appropriate as you seek out the connection that's right for you.

3. FredSanford

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Good idea to seek out spiritual help from someone who is trained. I'm an ordained clergy myself and would love it if someone like you showed up at my door with your questions abd interests. At the same time, make sure you're finding someone who is a true spiritual seeker and not a brand loyalist. I currently worship Catholic, and it pains me that my priest often feels the need to shill for the RC Church. Remember, professional clergy do what they do for a living--and have lots of hoops to jump through along the way. That's why I don't serve a congregation anymore--sometimes your motives get confused.

4. brodyman

I'm glad to hear that you are interested in and seeking to learn about your spirituality. I know that talking to the rabbi even though you are not a clergy member would be absolutely fine. Out of curiosity, what type of Judaism are you looking into?

5. Jay

Jay

Pray. Pray by yourself. Alone. Speak to God when you're in need of someone. You need to understand that along with any spiritual counseling that you choose to get (which is great!) you also need to start praying daily.

God, unlike many people might think, is someone who is interested in a personal relationship with each and every human being. He will listen to what you have to say and He will lead you when the time is right. But you're doing the essential thing that He requires us to have so he can do, pretty much, the rest: desire. You want to meet Him, know more about Him and his creation. I encourage you to follow that path.

Peace, bro! :slight_smile:

6. Mogget

Reform. I'd be open to Reconstructionist too, but we don't have one of those. Basically I need something capable of accepting a broader range of understandings of the divine. Which is why I'm also considering UU.

7. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

I've been into spirituality lately, and theres many ways to gain a stronger connection to the universe, gaining self awareness. Starting meditation is a excellent way to connect to your Higher self, and relax your soul.

If you want you can ask me for any advice, since I'm on the "journey" to enlightment myself :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

8. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I think I can help you a little bit Liam. I'm a reform Jew, and it's a very loose religion. In it you'll find all kinds of people--human secularists, agnostics, and then you'll find people that believe in a more traditional God. Most of the differences between reform Judaism and orthodox are scriptural differences. Assimilation and modern culture is very important in progressive sects of Judaism, whereas it's something to actively oppose as you get more orthodox. Reform Judaism is a more personal thing in my opinion, I guess, and it varies a lot depending on where you are. You should definitely talk to a rabbi if you're serious about it.

My university is affiliated with the United Church of Christ and it's something that I'm very impressed with, honestly. Everyone is so accepting and kind and loving. It's really something. One day I was walking to class and an old man, and I mean OLD, stopped me on the sidewalk and gave me a miniature copy of the New Testament and blessed me--I've kept it in my backpack for good luck ever since.

9. Mogget

I'm reasonably familiar with Reform Judaism. I've taken two university classes from the local Reform rabbi and attended quite a few Friday evening services. I like the congregation at the synagogue and the rabbi's take on scripture and ethics. I'm just not sure how to approach him.