1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Should I or shouldn't I...?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bolin, May 1, 2011.

1. Bolin

Okay, so, on Facebook, I have two friends (well, one's not really a personal "friend", per se, more like an acquaintance) that I went to high school with. They both just came out of the closet in the past few years, and I was thinking that I maybe kinda sorta wanted to come out to them. Besides, there are NOT that many gay people where I live. Either that, or they're in the closet (I live in the dirty south, and it's EXTREMELY religious and conservative, especially in my city)....but here's the problem.

I have extreme trust issues....and these two are DEFINITELY not the most trustworthy people I've met before. If I do tell them, I want it to be kept secret, since I'm not ready to have the whole world and their mama know that I'm gay. But they've been known to spill secrets in the past.....but I feel like I'm just dying to tell someone because I feel like I'm about to explode...

Do you have any advice...? Should I trust my instincts and not tell them, or should I just take the risk?

:help:

2. Toneth

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    perhaps coming out to someone you know well and trust would be a better option

3. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>I have extreme trust issues....and these two are DEFINITELY not the most trustworthy people I've met before.

Here's all you need to know.

Lex

4. Lotty

What Lex said

5. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

I know you want to tell them, but It doesn't seem that you should. It would be a risk, but with many potential consequences..

6. Bolin

Probably...I just figured it would be easier to come out to people who were gay.

And Lex,

Yes, I realized that almost immediately after I hit "submit post."

7. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there! Before you come out to anyone, ask yourself: can I trust him or her? If you feel and know that you can trust that person, then give it a try. You want to make sure that (at least at the beginning of your coming out process) you are in control of your coming out.

Sometimes, it is better to come out to a close friend who is straight than someone who is sorta a friend or an acquaintance. (*hug*)

8. Gumtree

Before deciding who to come out to, figure out what it is you want to gain from your relationship with said people by coming out.

If you're looking for a supportive friends that will have your back and do what's best for you, then I suggest ignoring whether someone is gay/straight, trustworthy/untrustworthy and START with people that fit the criteria of a friend, then narrow it down.

Your sexuality probably isn't anywhere near as big a deal to other people as it is to you, so I suggest not coming out to people solely because they're 'gay friendly', but because you think they're good people that deserve to know.