1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Therapy

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Skiel, May 1, 2011.

1. Skiel

Skiel Guest

I've been thinking if I should go back into therapy. Lately I've been really stressed out and I haven't talked to anyone in person about being gay in almost a year. But it turns out that my old therapists doesn't work in that office anymore and I feel like I can't talk about myself to someone else because it makes me feel too vulnerable to reveal my entire life to strangers. I want to go back though because I really need someone to talk to right now. i have a lot of things on my mind and really stressed out. but I get nervous just thinking about grabbing my phone to call or going to the office to set up an appointment. What happens if i don't like my new therapist? I want my old one back.:icon_sad: it just feels too uncomfortable. Should I just not go back at all?

2. Honestly, if you feel like you should go back to therapy, then you probably should. I know it's hard to get a new therapist, but worth it. Therapy is something I advocate for for anyone, and also one of those things where if you're thinking about it, then you should do it.

The anxiety that you get from calling up the office and meeting your new therapist and opening up about your life to a stranger is rough, for sure. But the reality is, all of that passes. With any good therapist, it gets easier and easier.

3. Lotty

I think you should go. It's worth a try. If you don't like your new therapist, then stop going. Here in holland you have an intake session first, to get to know each other. If you don't like it, then you stop. I don't know if they have that where you live.
    And it's too bad that your old therapist doesn't work there anymore, but that's how it is, isn't it? Life's hard, but I think you should try going back into therapy if you think it'll help.
    And if you decide not to, everyone here on EC is always willing to lend an ear (or eye, that is).
    Good luck(*hug*)

#3 Lotty, May 1, 2011
    Last edited: May 1, 2011
  4. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Like everyone else said, you should definitely go. Might be awkward or scary at first, but I think it would definitely be worth it at the end.

You are also more than welcomed to PM any of the advisors on here if you ever need to talk :slight_smile:

5. Skiel

Skiel Guest

Guess I will give it another shot then. I'll make an appointment after i'm done with my finals. Thanks for the input everyone. i appreciate it.
    And theedend, love your choice of a quote because i have that same quote on my fb page too lol

6. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Its is a pretty badass quote :slight_smile: