1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A little less confused... but still trying to figure out the rest

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jrparch, May 2, 2011.

1. jrparch

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    So, I originally posted here a few months ago because I was confused about my sexuality. While I haven't posted recently, I have been visiting this site frequently for support. The original post has all the details, so I won't repeat them but here is a quick recap. I am a 30 year old guy who had never dealt with or come to terms with my sexuality. My original post was written when I believe I was at rock bottom and something inside of me finally clicked and I decided I needed to deal with it. Anyway, I got some great advice from everyone here and wanted to provide an update of my progress.

The biggest news is that I have now actually dated a guy and you know what, I liked it! However, I would be lying if I didn't say that I also felt a sort of loss at the same time. I originally wanted to date a guy to confirm my belief that I was in fact gay (or at least bi) and to some extent it obviously did confirm that I like guys. However, it didn't provide the complete clarity I was expecting and I still struggle with calling myself gay. What is weird is that one day I will be completely fine with it and be ready to tell the world. However, the next day, I will feel the complete opposite and feel like my world is ending. I will then start to question if I am gay and will start to notice attractive women and think that maybe I would be happy in a relationship with one of them. Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Am I just trying to fool myself because I am still having trouble dealing with the fact that I have to lose the "straight" idea of what I thought my life would be? Am I just trying to bargain with myself? Am I just crazy?!?! Ha!

I think what scares me more than anything is just telling that first person. I feel like it compares to standing at the edge of a cliff and once you jump off, there is no turning back. That really freaks me out. What if I made a mistake? I also know (from the support here) that people come out later in life but I still feel totally embarrassed by what people will think when I do tell them, since I am 30. I guess it is just something I need to work through but I am still unsure as to how. What is also interesting is that I didn't seem to have a problem with the fact that the friend's of the guy I dated all knew we were dating and hanging out as a group was not a big deal.

Anyway, that is a quick update of my progress. While it might not seem like a lot, for me these have been huge steps as I originally promised myself I would never express or deal with it at all. I definitely appreciate this forum. It has been a huge help to read other stories and writing this down seems to help me process and deal with everything.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Your position and your fear is totally normal. There's something so...FINAL...about coming out to somebody. It makes everything "official" in that "no looking back" sort of way.

One thing to keep in mind. You're turning your back on NOTHING by coming out. The only things you'll be ditching are the feelings of keeping a secret from people, and the fear that somebody might discover this secret. But once a secret is known, it loses all its power. Nobody whispers "Lex had a turkey sandwich for lunch" behind my back, because everybody knows it, and nobody cares.

I've often maintained that the first and most important person to come out to is yourself. So try that for awhile. Stop wondering if you're gay - assume you are. Try it on. Be gay for the next few days. Assume that you're gay, and go live your life. Feel free to think "gay thoughts", or wonder what people will say when you come out to them (not if - when), and contemplate an ideal date or relationship with a guy. Don't worry about "what it means" or anything else - just jump in and try it. See how it fits. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Hexagon

Lex has said most of it, but I'll just add this: You like guys. You've figured out that much. Thats the hard part. Your current questions are to do with labels. You say you keep noticing hot women - fair enough. The mind can be a very tricky thing; theres a fair change that your not really attracted to them. But theres also a fair chance that you're bi. The question is: is that really an immediate concern? Accepting that your not straight was the big concern, and it seems you've done that. Labels can come later, if they even have to.