1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The next hurdle in a long line of hurdles!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by jason10, May 2, 2011.

1. jason10

Well, I'm out to three firends at the moment. All of which are girls as I find they are much more willing to accept me. That's not to say the friends I am with who are boys won't accept me, but I felt I needed to confide with someone who I know for sure wouldn't reject me. However, I have never talked to them about my sexuality... at all. Not that they are uncomfortable with it, but we just never have. They just know. That's kind of why I'm here.

I've been thinking about coming out to one or both of my parents. I'm seriously worried about this though. If they don't accept it, then you're stuck with it. You can't take it back. They will always know. Worse still, you have to live with them until you can move out. I know this sounds quite paranoid, but I tend to work myself yp.

My mum has often told me of how my future mife would be. Talks of me having a 'beautiful wife' with 'gorgeous children' and this just puts more pressure on me. On the flip side, she always without a doubt tells me that she loves me no matter what. I'm pretty sure she has even said that she doesn't care if any of her children were gay or not. (In a hypothetical converstation between her and my sister I overheard). Despite this, I am pretty sure ahe owuld be dissapointed. Dissapointed that she won't have grand-children.

And just that second, she walked in on my typing this. It wouldn't change windows so it was plastered on my GIANT computer screen for her to see. I tried to cover it up, but I'm not sure if she saw. She just walked out quickly all awkward and is now brushing her teeth. FML.

My dad, I'm not so sure. I think he wants a manly man son. So I have no idea about him.

Anyway. I'm just scared, but I want to tell them. I don't know how to say it. I don't know what to say. I don't even know when I'm going to say it.

HELP! :bang:

2. Hexagon

Coming out to male friends: This can be hard, and if anyone, these would be the less accepting. But it doesn't mean they won't be, not in the slightest. Do you know anyone who is gay? You could try introducing them. Or getting one of the girls you've told to ask them what they think about homosexuality.

Parents: Figure out what your dad thinks about homosexuality. I would sugest waiting till an issue about gay rights or descrimination comes up (try that damn same sex kissing watershed thing with Cameron since your in England) and just say 'Hey, have you seen this? What do you think about it?' That should give you a fair idea of how he's likely to react. The fact that he wants a manly son is his business, and if he really loves you, he'll realise that it doesn't matter.

It looks like your mum already knows...

3. jason10

I don't know a single person who is gay. Not anyone in my school at least. To be honest, I know that my best friend has nothing against homosexuality, but I'm still a bit wary of telling him. I'm not entirely sure how he'd react to his best mate being gay. I'm sure he would be okay with it however, I'm still nervous and unsure of how to say it.

My dad is very blank. We have a few firends over in America who are gay and he gets on with them great, just like anyone else. So, he is certainly not totally against it. The problem comes when he finds out that his own son is gay. I think that is the problem. He's fine with it until someone like me, his son (someone expected to grow up a 'man') is gay. I don't know, that's how I see it. He's really into his snooker, golf, motocorss, cars and F1 etc. Heck, he works for Red Bull Racing. So I guess you could say he is one of these 'manly men.' Although, he is lovely and I love him and he says he loves me (albeit not often).

My mum, well... I think she may know. She hasn't bought it up, but I just get that feeling. If she does, I wish she could just come out iwth it! It would make things so much easier.

Thanks for the advice, I'll see if I can implement it. :wink: The news thing is interesting. Eh... we'll see, the day will come. I just don't want to feel so alone in all this. I have no gay friends. No gay family members. I have no gay interaction what so ever. I am seriously out on a limb and I hate it.