1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible anhedonia

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Mogget, May 2, 2011.

1. Mogget

I think I may have anhedonia. I hadn't thought I did until very recently, when I began to realize that I no longer experience joy or really think that anything is beautiful. Obviously I need to tell my therapist, but is there anything else I can do to rediscover joy and beauty?

2. Steven791

Did you think about depression? If you just feel unhappy with life, nothing seems to make you happy, you never want to do anything anymore and have to fake a smile everyday it could be depression.

3. Mogget

Oh yeah, I have depression. I know that.

4. Steven791

Are you on medication for it? I have it too and took medication for about a month, it really helped. I stopped taking it because I kept forgetting to take it and if I went a few days without it made my depression ten times worse.

5. Mogget

I'm on medication and my doc's asked me a few times if I might have anhedonia, but I always said no because I still could get happy and enjoy things.

6. Jim1454

I'm not sure it's necessary to add on to your list of things wrong with you. This is described as a clinical symptom of depression - so I'd just stick to being depressed if I were you - and keep working on that.

With therapy and the right medication, you can get over it, just as I have. I didn't get pleasure from anything either - I was miserable all the time. Now can get pleasure from all kinds of things. But when a wave of depression sets in (which it does from time to time) I'm back in that dark place where nothing is worth while and everything seems pointless. It's amazing how powerful the mind is, and how destructive it can be when it isn't working properly.

7. suninthesky

I would exercise. If it feels like you can't feel much of anything, then exercise makes you feel. Also, afterwards, it releases chemicals in your brain and stuff that make you happier.