1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

He rendered me useless with his gaze.

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Bolin, May 4, 2011.

1. Bolin

I need to know you guys' opinion on this situations...it involves me and a coworker we'll call "Joey." (Obviously not his real name, but it's the perfect "boyfriend" name. Lol.)

I arrived at work today 30 minutes early. My supervisor tells me to clock in early until she sees my crumpled up McDonald's bag, which I'd obviously eaten in the way to work, but she's slow and said "Never mind. Just clock in when you finished eating." I stare blankly at her, but don't correct her. After all, who wants to clock in early?

Well, I entered the break room, and I saw "Joey" sitting at the end of the middle table. I REALLY REALLY REALLY like Joey, almost more than I've liked anyone else, so I sit at the end of the table next to him and say "What's up, [Joey]?" "Nothin' much," he says. Well, I commence to going on my phone. I check my Facebook first, get bored with that, and sign in to EC. (*Note, here's where the HUGE coincidence comes in). Well, I'm looking through forums when I suddenly feel heat on the back of my neck. I turn my head slightly to the left and Joey's face is THISCLOSE to mine, looking over my shoulder. Like a reaction, I slam my phone face-down on the table. "What were you looking at?" he asks. "None-ya..." I mutter.

At this point, I get up to go to the restroom (too much sweet tea...). I come back to the break room to find him at my table in the seat adjacent to me (I was at the end of the table). He had his head down, so I assumed he was asleep. I whipped my phone back out and started Facebook-ing. Well, I fiddle with that for about 10 minutes.

I put my phone back in my pocket and look up to find his intense blue eyes gazing right into mine. I've seen him "look" in my direction for a slightly extended period time before, but he's NEVER so blatantly gazed into my eyes before. I'm the sort of person who NEVER loses his composure or cool in public, ESPECIALLY in front of people. Also, there has NEVER been a SINGLE human being that has made me lose my composure. "Joey" accomplished what NO ONE has ever done to me. We gazed into one another's eyes for about a good 10 seconds, maybe more.

I was stunned. I've NEVER felt like this before. My face flushed. I felt like I was having a fever, I was so hot. I clenched my fists so hard, I could feel my fingernails digging into my skin. I felt as if someone had attached a vacuum to my face and had sucked the air out of me. I couldn't let go of his gaze.

I knew I had to get control of this situation before I "outed" myself (which I probably already did in that instant). "Are you okay?" I managed to half-whisper out. "Yeah..." he half-whispered back. "Are you okay?" I nodded slowly. His face softened, and he smiled. "I'm glad," he says. He raises his fist for our traditional "fist bump."

My fist gently touches his (I was too stunned), but he didn't move his fist and I didn't move mine, creating an extended "touch."

I decided to get up and clock in. I was in shock. My hands and voice were trembling, and I was making mistakes on my job. I have NEVER felt this way before. I've had crushes. I've been infatuated with someone. I've even been in love. But whenever I've been in those three situations, I've NEVER felt like this. I've never been rendered so useless and shocked in my entire life.

I managed to get a hold of myself. The day went by as normal. Halfway through the day, it was time for me to go on my break. I closed down my sign at my register. I finished ringing up my last customer, and turn around to walk away. Standing at the end of my register with his groceries was "Joey." My heart almost stopped.

"You getting off work?" I managed to get out. "Yeah..." he says. I finish ringing him up and send him on his way. I was returned to that useless, shocked state for the rest of my work day.

I've been working with him for more than 6 months, and now I'm almost somewhat maybe kinda sure that he likes me....not to mention all the times he's made my gaydar go off in the past. (He switched departments, and keeps asking me to switch into his so I "can be with him.") I'm (kinda of) an ultra super realist, and usually kill ideas that this guy or that guy "likes" me in that way, but my mindset is not blasting that notion out of my head. This might be the real thing.

But still, a part of me thinks I'm just making it up....I'm not really physically attractive, I'm really quiet and awkward, and I'm kind of a boring person.....he's handsome, athletic, has a nice body, and a really cool personality....I just don't see why it's me, which makes me to believe I'm just fooling myself....

....What are your thoughts on this? I don't know what to think... :frowning2:

2. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Is he out of the closet?

3. Bolin

I don't know...I always thought he was straight (even straight guys "activate" my gaydar sometimes....), but today, I seriously doubted it. But I have noticed that whenever our male coworkers are talking about girls, he's unusually silent and detached (he's normally a chatter box). He also used to keep asking me if I had a girlfriend. Also, I've noticed him looking in my direction a quite a few times in the past, but this is the first time he's ever done anything so blatant. And in front of other people, too (we weren't the only ones in the break room). Although I don't know if they saw anything...

#3 Bolin, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
  4. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Would you feel comfortable telling him about yourself?

5. Bolin

I think so. Maybe if I got to know him a little better.

6. Ethan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think you had a connection on a level beyond human perception
    Something happened in there, and that combined with the other information you've provided leads me to believe he's at least a little into you, and after that paralysis connection, maybe a lot into you.

7. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

Maybe invite him to hang out some time, possibly with some other friends outside of work. This way you can get to know him more without feeling the need to tell him about you as much, and without the stress of work.

8. Skiel

Skiel Guest

I felt like i was reading a romantic novel lol If he is gay and you two do end up together, you need to keep everyone here updated on that. that'd be awesome!! xD
    But you really shouldn't make a move on him unless you are sure he is either gay. he may get freaked out and end up jeopardizing your friendship. He could just be one of those straight guys who are just very friendly. YOu should try to subtly drop down hints that you are interested or are gay. but if you aren't out, I don't think you would feel too comfortable about that.
    One far fetched idea is to see how he would react to "gay things". He almost saw you looking at this EC site, so watch some video on youtube with him/near him so he sees it too that is gay themed and see if he comments on them lol Like watch the katy perry fireworks music video and look for his reaction when he sees the two guys kiss or watch Modern Family and see how he reacts to the gya couple. THis would be one way to see if he is straight and just gay friendly OR he may out himself and he is indeed gay, then you can go for it!! That way you don't have to risk outing yourself :grin:

9. IanGallagher

I was sixteen in high school. I thought I was a strange straight guy. (Note: Depending on how the guys were talking about girls, some guys don't take part - I get physically sick when hearing about my friends going on and on about "one night stands" and "using a girl," I just find it wrong to 'use' people like that guy or girl). Back to the why I posted this. There was this guy in my music class. Really hot. Physically fit. Quarter back. He initiated flirting with me - eye contact that was held, physical touching, smiling. Next thing I knew he was taking his shirt off during gym class and used me as his "secret weapon." Trust me, he was definitely going out of his way to do this. All those things put together, I fell for him. Hard. He's still the first guy I ever liked. In the locker room the other guys would joke that he had to be gay (it was an all guy's school and he was showing himself off shirtless). It never went beyond that. But, truth of the matter is? I'm pretty sure he was either bi or gay. And he was drawn to me, he started it - with a guy that has little to no self esteem. Basically he might see something in you.

The nerd can get the hot athlete too, man.

#9 IanGallagher, May 4, 2011
    Last edited: May 4, 2011
  10. Beachboi92

well i'll give you a story of mine and take what it from you want. I like you am the person that my gaydar pings and then i shut it down with "nope he is straight no chance in hell get over it." But then a guy came along who pinged it was "straight" and despite me constantly shutting down the thought he kept pinging it. We would have eye contact sometimes but usually we would break it off however i often caught him staring at me. Well low and behold we got drunk one night and bam, we where in bed together.

If you don't already hang out with him outside of work. The ultimate way to get secrets out of people in my opinion is a little bit of alcohol and alone time haha. If he gets drunk and flirty then i'd say you are probably safe in assuming he is gay xD In my experience all the things you talk about are good indicators of someones sexuality. If you catch them looking at you or other guys a lot it is a really good indicator imo. Straight guys in my experience are usually oblivious to other guys unless it is in a way where they are trying to express some kind of dominance.

I believe i have an incredibly accurate "gaydar" and i use eye contact and looking and the sort of things you talk about as indicators of sexuality. However the difference is i am 100% out so that may make a difference. Try seeing if you can let slip that your gay somehow. If all of his actions continue on track i'd say it would be a good chance he is gay or bi.

forgive me if i was a little rambly i am tired xD

11. Bolin

Sorry if I made the story too long...I didn't want you to have to read a huge glob of text. Lol. Anyways, he's kinda....slow, so I don't know if "subtle" will work on him. Haha. Also, I'll try to keep this updated, but sometimes we won't see each other for a week or more, so don't expect it to be updated regularly. (he usually works morning shifts most of the week, and sometimes they might make me work afternoon shifts most of another week).

I don't think he drinks. I overheard him say he hated the taste of alcohol when he was talking to someone a good few months ago. So, that's out. xD

I do catch him looking in my general direction somewhat often, and I think he usually finds excuses to come see me (like the time he asked me to page someone in the store on the speaker phone, saying "he didn't know how to use the pager" even though I've seen and heard him use it before).

About letting it "slip" that I may not be straight, he used to frequently ask if I had a girlfriend, to which I always said "No." (and he would be like "Oh, really..." Not "Oh, really" but "Oh, really"). The next time he asks me that....I may use that opportunity....if I'm not a ball of nerves....

12. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Show him EC. (But not this post.) That's your in. :slight_smile:

Lex

13. Wahnfried36

Wahnfried36 Guest

Do you think maybe the things you list yourself as being could be what he is attracted to? OK, maybe 'boring' isn't a quality people find typically attractive - but that's just you talking yourself down. It might be possible that he finds something in a man who is quiet rather than conspicuous and extroverted; reserved (you refer to yourself as 'awkward') rather than overtly confident/cocky. Just a thought.

14. IsItSo

Out Status:
    A few people
    You're a pretty good writer, just saying.

15. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Wow, nice story, it seemed so short :lol:

16. VentinIntrovert

Don't make the mistake I did... Confessing your love to a straight guy. I had this adorable guy in my class that I thought was gay, and so I told him that I liked him. He turned out to be straight, he was totally creeped out and we never spoke since. My mistake is to ask him if he is gay first, rather then coming out to him. Be very open, supportive in the process like you're pro-gay rights, etc...

17. mnguy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sadly a lot of gay guys will give signals and we'll get sucked in, but then they will end up married to a woman. This seems especially common with the "cool, jock, popular" guys because they need to maintain and fulfill expectations. Hope it doesn't turn out like that for you :slight_smile: :thumbsup:

18. Bolin

I hope so, too...thanks.

19. Beachboi92

come out to him somehow is my advice or even if ur not gonna invite him for a drink then just hang out sometime and maybe you will get more comfortable around him. once your out to him if he does like you then he will probably make a move. But definitely find out if he is gay and come out to him before making any moves xD

Another thought, does he have a facebook or old myspace that you could check maybe the info you are looking for is just waiting to be viewed :x

20. snackcake

OOOOOO! Nice story. Just keep talking to him and take your time to see where it goes. It sounds like it could be positive any way you look at it. It could be that you could end up with a connection good friends which stays there or good friends that progresses into something more. Don't rush coming out to him though. Feel more safe in the relationship first. If this encounter was in reality the way it felt to me...it shouldn't take too long!