1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't have hobbies

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by itIsMe, May 7, 2011.

1. itIsMe

It seems I don't like anything! When I have free time, I spend it in front of my computer...doing nothing. Maybe I just refresh Facebook every X minutes, and that's all. It drives me nuts! There are so many things you can do with a computer, and I won't do any of them...I don't feel like to.
    I could turn off the computer and do other things...drawing, playing music, reading, etc etc...but I don't like any of them :bang:
    I can start doing something, but I get bored so quickly, and I know that doing that thing isn't my "passion" at all. I have no hobbies.
    I'm also not a sports guy, so I'm always in my room...letting the time pass.
    Whats more, when I'm in this "fulfilling" moments...I start thinking about my life, the closet and so on, so I get sad too. :frowning2:
    Sometimes I think that I shouldn't have hobbies yet, because they would prevent me from thinking about myself and getting ready to come out...they would be a distraction of the "main thing"...but hell, doing nothing every time I have free time it's...depressing >.<

Any ideas on what could I do? Any hobbies? What do you do in your free time? :/

2. jason10

I have the same problem as you! I don't really have any hobbies per say but I do have a passion. That's roller coaster. Anything and everything about them. From different types, to different companies. Everything about them interests me. It doesn't stop at roller coasters, but theme parks in general. Water parks, rides. I joined an online roller coaster forum and have been hooked ever since. Now, I know this isn't everyone's taste. I wouldn't really call it my 'hobby' though. Sure, it's my passion, but I don't count it as a hobby. I can't go to a theme park everyday, more like once a month, if that.

Enough about me. What I'm trying to get at is that, you don't need a hobby. Try to find something that you like doing or something that interests you be it cars, comics, engineering, art, maths, books, roller coasters, computing, airplanes, models, radio-controlled helicopters, bottle top collecting or paper plate branding! The last two were a bit tongue-in-cheek, but I'm sure someone loves bottle tops. :wink: If you can find just one thing that you find pretty cool, then you're on the right track. Find out more about it. Visit and join an internet forum. If not a hobby, find a passion and visa versa. I'm sure there is something out there for you!

3. Kidd

Kidd Guest

Well, when I'm bored and I have nothing to do I like to play Guild Wars, or Fallout, or Dragon Age or whatever else I want to play at that moment. I'm kinda geeky, so I like to read the amicus curiae briefs from different cases--like right now I'm rereading the briefs in support of the plaintiffs from the first Proposition 8 trial. It's actually really interesting, at least I think so.

Plus...I found a website where people debate over different news stories and stuff and there is a LGBT section which just coincidentally is linked to the Religion and Spirituality board...some really intense moments have happened there and it's a fun way to pass the time, I think.

I guess you can call those hobbies. I like to read and everything else too. Aggressive facebooking counts as a hobby so you already have at least one. Find a MMORPG that interests you and start playing it, is my suggestion to you.

4. Skiel

Skiel Guest

it's ok. i have no hobbies too and i get bored easily :grin: Just keep trying new activities to see if you like them, that's really the only advice but you sound like you could do a lot of things. I can't even draw or play any music. lol Maybe you should try stepping out doors even if it's just sitting at a park rather than being isolated in your room. it helps to be around people at least for me it does. Even when I would like to be alone, i ususally step outside to go to the park across the street to do some running or just walking. It calms and relaxes me. you sound pretty lonely though :[

5. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

Don't you have things you want to know about and research into?

Heres a list what I do on the computer:

Research self interests
    I look up on nutritions on food I eat
    I play Warcraft :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I play Bejeweled
    I play L4d2
    I watch tutorials
    I watch Cartoons
    I watch Movies and.. stuff :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    I listen to music

Are you in education? Could you be bored because your depressed? try working on your depression. Try doing exercise, I know you'l be bored of it straight away but, put time into it, and you'll enjoy it.

#5 Z3ni, May 7, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2011
  6. Aya McCabre

If you're that worried about it, cut off the internet. Seriously. Having no internet and no gaming consoles means that you actually get stuff done. Hobbies aren't hard to acquire when there's no easy way out.

7. zerogravity

Why don't you try yoga asana practice? You could find a class, or learn on your own. It can make your body and mind stronger and help you with your depression. This practice has changed my life. If you have any questions, let me know!

8. itIsMe

Thank you all for your responses! :slight_smile:
    Well, everyone has a different opinion/suggestion, and all of them seem right.
    However, I don't know why, but I dont' feel like trying new hobbies...maybe I feel them like trying something new and getting out of the famous "comfort zone"? But...reading? :confused: I really don't understand myself...

9. zeratul

zeratul Guest

I will pin point your root cause. The reason you sit there and refresh facebook every few minutes is because unless you do that you feel disconnected from the world.

There are several ways you can leave the computer alone and still go out and try new hobbies:

- get a smart phone and install the facebook app
    - get a portable music player that is connected to the internet or FM radio or something

These devices will give you that feeling you are plugged in and connected to your friends still and if they want to reach you they can. Now go out there and start doing the fun things without that feeling of leaving your world behind! :slight_smile:

10. itIsMe

Thanks zeratul, but I don't think that's the cause :/
    If I can check my Facebook and the several social networks I'm in once a day, it's fine, I don't need more. So it's not a "being obsessed with Facebook" thing.
    In fact, when I'm too much time in front of my computer, I feel..."dirty", without a social life, and that things...so I would prefer to have no Facebook, and have some good activities to do, far away from any screen. And some (really) good friends near too, if you ask me >.<

11. Jim1454

I'm not sure I had many 'hobbies' either when I was younger. School was a big focus, and not much else.

I've always been a car enthusiast though. I would wash my dad's car and loved driving it. Now that I have my own cars, I like washing and maintaining them. It makes me feel good.

I also have taken up regular exercise, which is good for everyone. Make it a point to put your shoes on and go out for a walk for half an hour, and ever 4 minutes run for a minute instead. Over time you can shorten the time you walk and lengthen the time you run. Eventually, you'll be jogging for the full half hour, and you'll be feeling really good about yourself. Lots of people have a form of exercise as their hobby - it's certainly better than taking up another activity that involves sitting in front of your computer screen.

12. itIsMe

Thanks Jim, I try to exercise whenever I can, although I could do a lot more, but it's something :/
    However, I can't be always out of my home, and it's when I'm inside, when I get so bored.
    And I could do a LOT of things! But all I think it's "meh...I don't feel like to do X" Nothing catches my eye -.-