1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

"If you were gay, I'd disown you."

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by wondering, May 9, 2011.

1. wondering

Out Status:
    A few people
    So one of my closest friends is gay. His family is very homophobic and his mother is constantly making rude comments about anyone who is gay or bi. I am very concerned for said friend's well-being because he is very depressed lately. I feel that if he just told his mom, she would stop making such comments. His mom has made "jokes" (if she's joking, they're definitely NOT funny) like "If you were gay, I'd disown you." I cannot believe those words came from such a sweetheart of a mother.
    Any suggestions?

2. StarofMiyu

My dad is the same way. My advice, tell him to talk to his counselors at school and help him to get the ..eff out of there. That is a horrible place to be in. Because that's exactly what I'm doing.

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Very often, parents say stuff like "If you were gay, I'd disown you" because they already know their kid is gay, at least at an unconscious level, and it's sort of a protection... "If I say it's not true and say I don't want it to be true, then it won't be"... but from what I've seen, pretty much without fail, it's *not* the parents that say stuff like that where you have a problem.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Chip is on to something here. I think it's a subconscious form of "aversion therapy". They think if they throw out hints like gay jokes or suggestions of being disowned, that it will somehow keep the homosexuality from "taking", and the child will somehow end up straight. Whereas, of course, the sexuality is already determined by that point, and the comments do nothing but hurt.

I think talking to your counselor is a good idea.

Lex

5. wondering

Out Status:
    A few people
    My friend won't talk to anyone, let alone a counselor. Do I take it upon myself to do so? It seems to be an invasion of privacy.

6. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    He's apparently talked to YOU about it, right? Otherwise, how are you privy to these things that are being said? If so, then perhaps sit him down and tell him you're worried about what he's going through, and maybe give him your thoughts on the matter. You can possibly bring up the counselor at that point.

Lex

7. MercuryLampe

My mom is the same way; I told her and she made lots of threats, so I know how your friend feels ; n ;

I definitely agree with Lexington, definitely allow him to talk to a counselor~

8. wondering

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks so much guys! He has an appointment with a counselor soon to discuss this.
    I can't thank you guys enough, I really can't. <3

9. bryan176

Let us know how it goes I really don't want to hear about another homosexual person tacking his life because of who he is. You can also advise him to get on here, this has made the whole process for me easy because I have people on here that may not know me personaly but care about me.