1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just broke up with boyfriend...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Austin, May 10, 2011.

1. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    And I feel so empty and lonely now. :frowning2: He was a really good guy but some things he did I didn't like. For example, when we talked online or txt, which was often, (since his parents wouldn't let him see me except weekends even though he lived like 1 mile away), he'd always take like 2-3 minutes minimum to respond. And it seemed like his answers always were short and forced. Even when he wasn't busy with homework he'd be talking to other friends or watching TV and do the same thing. I only rarely got his full attention aside from in person. And since I could only see him in person for a couple hours on weekends and maybe 15 minutes in person on weekdays it never felt like enough (maybe I am being greedy). Well, it felt like he never wanted to talk to me. I'm not busy when I come on the computer so I sat there and waited every time... And he also seemed to never want to see me that much. He never told me details of anything. Like we were supposed to do something Saturday and Friday he tells me nonchalantly that he's going to a party Saturday and he'd see me during the day. Well, that never happened. He came after the party at 12 AM- 1 AM because the party was supposed to end at 1 AM and kinda just napped at my house. I wanted to spend time with him. Not have him sleeping the little time we get to see each other. =/ But it's just that he seemed to not care that much about me. I could go on about how he said he was gonna make a card for our 3 months but never did, etc. Idk, really. I just don't know if I made the right choice. I don't think I'll really find someone better. I just wish he had acted like he'd cared about me, and he'd have been an amazing boyfriend. When we first met, he did. But now I think he takes me for granted. So I ended things. =/

2. LookingGlass

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I have to be honest, you seem to be a little too needy here. But did you actually sit down with him and talk about this before making a decision? Maybe he doesn't like texting very much. As for giving more attention to other friends, how long have you known him? Guys tend to do this when they don't know their boyfriends very well and they feel more comfortable around their friends. Did you give yourself time to form an actual friendship before jumping into the dating game? Not trying to be mean if I come off that way, I'm just trying to get a little more detail and understanding.

3. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    yeah...you didn't say for how long he has been with out :/

4. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It was only about 3 and a half months. I probably am too needy.

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Austin,

It totally sounds like you made the right decision. And the fact that *you* ended the relationship, to me, implies that the neediness isn't out of control. If it were, you'd be begging to keep the relationship, not standing up for yourself and your own needs.

Whenever we start a new relationship, our body secretes a group of hormones, one of which is oxytocin, and that's believed to be part of what contributes to the "honeymoon period" where everything feels wonderful and amazing. It's when that wears off (somewhere between 6 weeks and 3 months into the relationship, usually) that the real relationship emerges. So problems and pitfalls usually aren't as visible before then.

So from what you've said, it sounds like he wasn't being very respectful of the relationship or of you. If people have problems and feel like someone is smothering them, they need to talk about it, not act passive-aggressively. But it's also very possible that he is still not completely comfortable with himself as a gay man, and/or that he has problems allowing anyone to get really close (both are epidemic problems among gay men, owing to the homophobia in our society)

You might need to work on your own sense of confidence and what you need in a relationship, but it honestly sounds like this relationship was not a good one, and the guy was not ready or capable of sustaining a healthy relationship.

6. cardenio

Since Chip said pretty much everything that needed to be said (and very eloquently too, I might add), I would just like reiterate a couple of things:

- Austin, you do not sound particularly needy. You had every right to expect that your boyfriend would make a genuine effort to spend time with you, especially at the infancy of your relationship.

- Judging from what you've written, it seems clear that you made the right choice. Your ex-boyfriend (and I do hope he remains an ex) was either unable or unwilling to really connect with you. Don't second-guess yourself.

7. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks chip. I had read about the 3 month thing somewhere before. I didn't really want to be another statistic. =/ Though I had been having problems before. Such as him still not completely over his ex and still talking to him even though his ex talked about getting back together n stuff (though he stopped talking to him maybe 2 weeks ago), and talking to other guys - mostly him adding a few good looking gay guys to facebook or something... I don't mind the friends he already had. Or like, him not asking if I could come with him to his friend's bday party at the beach... his girl friends that i'd met. but, idk. I feel dumb saying these so maybe they are dumb reasons. He also kept going more often to the gay website we had met on and I asked why and he avoided it at first and then later he's like "sorry" sarcastically. =/ Eh, mostly the not talking, though. I felt disconnected with him after a while. I think I'm too immature for a relationship anyways.

---------- Post added 10th May 2011 at 01:23 PM ----------

And thanks cardenio. I wonder if my more recently post will change your guys' opinions. I do think I am too needy though.

8. cardenio

For the record, my opinion hasn't changed.

Personally, I would hold off on the meticulous dissection and self-examination of the relationship and yourself until you are in a better state of mind (not sad and lonely), but since you probably can't help it, I will offer some thoughts.

It seems to me that the problems were perhaps partly caused not so much by what you did, but, rather, by how you approached some things, which set yourself up to be disappointed.

You wrote, for example, that you sat on the computer waiting for your ex to chat with you at times when you weren't busy. For future reference, it might be a good idea to only get on the computer when you have a specific purpose in mind (looking things up for school, reading the news, watching videos on YouTube, etc.) so that if your boyfriend does end up chatting with you, then that becomes a plus. If he doesn't, then you won't resent his silence because you still will have done what you needed/wanted to do on the computer and you wouldn't have wasted your time waiting for him.

The same applies to the texting situation. If you are sitting there with nothing to do, waiting next to the phone for your boyfriend to respond, of course a three-minute wait between texts is going to feel like an eternity. So you might only want to text when you are actively engaged in another activity so that, again, you won't feel rejected when you have to wait a bit for him to reply or when said response isn't as articulate as you would have wanted.

Finally, I would just like to ask you to not be so harsh on yourself. It is admirable that you want to improve yourself, but realize that right now is probably not the best time to even decide what changes, if any, should be made.

Hope that helps put things in perspective, even if only a little. :slight_smile:

9. Revan

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One thing I also think is you went with what you needed to do. What people don't remember about relationships is that for them to work you have to accept the little things not just the big. If the case is you couldn't handle him taking time to respond and such, then it was right for you to break up with him. It could also be that you're 18 and young and still experiencing life, but I think you did the right thing.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Austin, none of the things you've stated are dumb reasons. It sounds like he was incredibly selfish in many ways, and also that (either because he's an asshole, or because he has huge problems with emotional intimacy) he intentionally did things to create barriers between the two of you.

If you feel like you're too immature for a relationship, why don't you talk a little about the ways you think that manifests? One of the best ways to change the behaviors is to gain more understanding about them. :slight_smile:

Edit: Cardenio and Revan both make valuable comments as well. It's all al learning process, but you seem like you're open to what you need to work on within yourself, and that's half the battle.

11. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

I really think you made the right decision, in fact I'm glad you didn't wait longer, for your own good. :slight_smile: I know you feel sad and lonely now, but trust yourself that you made the right decision.

3.5 months is quite a long time. I've made the mistake in waiting too long, and then I got dumped even though I was planning on dumping him. I was pissed off at the time.

12. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow, guys looking for same-sex relationships are assholes too? damn...i barely started to enjoy my "other side" and i am already scared out by what other guys might do and screw up with my heart >->...Good Jesus.

well...I'm not experienced with anything...i don't know how i can help, i can do nothing but expect the better, and i'm glad Austin is feeling better, i have to say you, guys from EC staff (and the supportive members) are truly amazing, i can't stop following and learning how you deal with everything..

13. Kevin42

Kevin42 Guest

You did the right thing breaking up with this guy. He wasn't being a good boyfriend and I am glad that you care about yourself enough to break it off with someone who doesn't treat you well. Alot of people don't have enough self esteem to break up with people who treat them poorly, but I am glad that you do. It might not be right away, but you will find someone who cares about you as much as you care about them and then you won't even remember this guy. I know it sucks now, but you will make it through. Take care(*hug*).

14. Steven791

I just got out of a relationship that sounds exactly the same as yours was. It started off great the first few weeks but then things just started to fall apart it seems. I was always the one that went to see him, he only came to see me once. He always took forever to text back, and when I would ask him if he was busy he would say not that he wasn't doing anything. Had to supress the urge to ask why it was taking him so long then. I haven't ended it really, but as far as I'm concerned its over. We haven't spoken in over a week. I found out he was talking to my abusive ex behind my back... and it was more than just friendly conversation. There were quite a few other guys too, but I didn't count how many.. Three that I know of for sure. Not saying your guy was cheating, but mine was acting the same way yours was. He just seemed to get really distant. He would sound excited and say he was ready to see me when I went to see him but when I got there he would just sit on the computer for a while and wouldn't say much to me, maybe a few sentences every few minutes. I would just sit on the couch and wait for him.

Moral to the story: Some guys seem like your ray of sunshine on a cloudy day, but they end up really being the clouds that are holding the sun back... :\ (If that made sense)

15. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys. I ended it badly over the internet but I didn't feel I could fake it until the weekend when I saw him. I didn't really plan it or I'd probably have faked it. But, I just got into talking about the problems and one thing let to another and it was over. Anyways, I'm glad to know you guys think it was the right decision...

@cardenio : I know I did those thing wrong. But honestly, I'm also trying to battle I think some depression. I don't really seem to have any interests or friends so that probably made me too reliant on my boyfriend. And he couldn't provide what I needed. That's where I feel like it was my fault.

@revan : Yup.. whoever's fault it was, I guess I couldn't handle it. I'm just afraid I should be accepting these things, but it appears I shouldn't. Like, I'm wondering what things I need to get over in order to have a healthy relationship. Should I mind if he is always too busy or should I just go with it?

@chip : thanks for all the help. I think they were selfish too and everything he is doing now makes me feel like he doesn't even care that much. It's quite depressing. But, I'm going to start going to the psychologist again so let's hope that helps.

@Gleeko0 : Yep, they suck. =/

@Kevin42: Thanks Kevin. :slight_smile: Idk if it's so much self esteem as being angry and falling out of love with him. I haven't even cried honestly yet. I've only felt guilty and lonely. I think by the time we broke up I stopped having feelings for him. I honestly like when this happens because I'm not completely hurt at the end of it.

@Steven : I'm sorry that happened. :frowning2: Guys are assholes. I'm not sure how people can take so long to reply... I always feel bad! But he sounds like a huge asshole. =/

And idk he doesn't seem sad that we're done so oh well I guess. I feel like he semi-cheated on me and I just realized it kinda or accepted it. He met this gay guy through his friend and went on a walk with him.... and got to know him? How can that not be a date? lol. He told me about it, but jeeze.

16. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found out he had cheated on me!!!!! :frowning2:

17. Raeil

Damn, that sucks! Sorry that it happened to you, seriously. :frowning2:

I realize it's been said before, and now it's certainly redundant, but you definitely did the right thing. When you feel that you're needing to fake a relationship in order to get to the breakup, it's generally not good to keep that facade up.

Again, I'm sorry you had to go through that. (*hug*)

18. Steven791

Yeah mine was cheating on me too.. Confronting him probably won't do anything, I said something to my guy and he was like '..what are you getting at?'

He still denies it.

19. malachite

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  20. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks guys... =/ I'm sorry Steven. At least you're smart enough to recognize it though. :frowning2: I had a feeling, but I couldn't figure it out for sure. If anything I thought maybe he had flirting, not actually blew him!! :frowning2: And I can't get how I think it went down out of my head! Agg!