1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Maybe perhaps possibly transgendered?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lotty, May 10, 2011.

1. Lotty

Sometimes I think I want to be a guy. It would be so much easier for me. Sometimes I hate being a girl, but mostly I don't. Yes, I've become more of a tomboy lately, but I don't feel like I want to change. So how come I feel like a guy sometimes? Like I was born in the wrong body? All my female friends are so complicated. I really have to watch what I'm saying around them, but I don't have that with my male friends at all. Now, that's not so strange, but I don't feel as complicated as my female friends. No one has to watch what he's saying around me. I don't really know how to explain this. But some of my friends have said that I 'react like a guy'. And when I ask what they mean, they can't explain.
    A few days ago, my sisters (female) friends came over for her birthday. It really looked like all of them were having a good time. When I'm with my female friends, I really have to make myself have fun. But when I'm with my male friends, we have fun even when we're doing nothing. I always found it difficult to behave like a 'normal' girl. Like all the girls I knew (know). And I feel more... myself with my male friends. I can behave like a guy, no problem.
    So I considered that maybe I'm transgendered. But then I tried to imagine actually BEING a guy, and I couldn't. And it's not like I don't like being a girl.
    So I don't know what I am anymore. I know what I'm feeling, I just can't make sense of it. Am I transgendered? Am I not? And if I am, wouldn't I already have known for a long time?
    Sorry, this whole post doesn't make any sense, but it feel good getting it off my chest.

2. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You may have some characteristics or traits that are usually assigned to men, or are considered masculine. I don't think that's synonymous with being transgendered, though. I think it's a common experience with non-straights. I've got some feminine or "women-associated" traits, myself. But I'm pretty sure I'm male inside and out. :slight_smile:

Lex

3. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It makes 100% sense...i was in the same situation in the past (and sometimes, nowdays), i'm glad i can help you.

like i said, Sometimes (rarely) i have that too. Well..generally, lets say ...that... before i was very very timid and i used to talk to a few people but i didn't have any close friend or a group of friends..i wasn't a black sheep either (sorta... but now i'm fine) and i when i was like that, just like you (but inverse, because i am a guy) i had more problems to socialize with guys than with most girls, i was always watching what I'm saying around them and having fun was harder, (back then i had no idea i could be bisexual .-.). Well, i started to talk with 2 girls more than with the guys i used to talk with, and it went well, now..a lot of time later we made a lot of new friends, and its a very "mixed" group, 3 guys and 3 girls, and its perfect for me like that..because i never feel that need to watch what i am saying, and i have fun all the time. It never passed by my mind i could be transgendered...and i never felt the need to act feminine. And my straight guy friends don't suspect i am bisexual, lol!

I asked my 2 friends today (the girls) and even with the jokes they made about me being gay long time ago weren't meant to be serious..and when i told them i was bisexual they didn't believe me. (but didn't tell me they though i was lying -.-") it was a surprise...because i tough i acted feminine sometimes, now i know i am wrong.

So yeah, i hope this will help you out a little :wink: i will read your replies!

i would like to apologize if my english doesn't sound well, english isn't my main language and i've been trying to learn it by myself ..so ya... thanks XD

4. Lotty

Yes, Lex, I understand that lesbians often have masculine traits. So I didn't worry about it for a long time. But the thing is... exactly your last sentence. I'm not sure I'm female inside. I don't think it's just traits. But I don't think... I would want to be a guy. I'm happy with my body, I wouldn't want to change it, I don't know if I wish that I was born as a guy, but... oh, this is so frustrating. I know what I feel, but I can't explain it. Okay, I'm gonna keep it simple. I feel like I wanna be a guy. But I also feel like I want to be a girl. Get it? If you do, then please explain it to me.

5. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hm. Perhaps, in a ideal world, you'd be interested in being able to transform between the two, back and forth? Because you perhaps feel somehow in between? Just trying to get a better grasp on it.

Lex

6. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    this is getting confusing o.o

but i think i somehow understand it....since i am bisexual

7. Lotty

Lex
    That's SO it. Or maybe not entirely. I think, in an ideal world, I could be both of them at the same time. But then... a guy's mind in a girl's body. Yeah, maybe that's it. But that sounds like trans again...
    Gleeko0, you're right. This is getting confusing.

8. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Or perhaps you could morph halfway between, and sort of be both, but without any of the weirdness or stigma that currently exists for hermaphrodites or whatnot?

Lex

9. Lotty

Yeah, exactly. That would be perfect. Jeez, Lex, how come you understand me better than my friends, even though you don't know me?
    So, okay, lets say I'm both. Male and female. Does that also have a name? Not that I really care about that.

10. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    >>>Yeah, exactly. That would be perfect. Jeez, Lex, how come you understand me better than my friends, even though you don't know me?

Well, you'll notice I had to try three times before I got there. I just kept nosing around, and let your responses guide me. It's kind of what I do here. :slight_smile:

Is there a term for it? I'm sure there is, although I can't say as I know of one off the top of my head. "Bisexual" appears to be used for something else. :slight_smile: "Bi-gendered"? My first thought was of the modern Native American term for alternate sexuality people - "two spirited". A la Wikipedia:

A direct translation of the Ojibwe term, Niizh manidoowag, "two-spirited" or "two-spirit" is usually used to indicate a person whose body simultaneously houses a masculine spirit and a feminine spirit.

Lex

11. Gleeko0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Haha! Lex that was impressive XD, you even got a name for it lol.

12. MercuryLampe

Oh I know how you feel! I always grew up with all of my friends being guys, except for a few, so I was very tomboyish for a while. Not so much anymore, but I still feel how you do...like... guy-minded xD I don't consider myself transgender, though~ If you don't really want to, or don't see yourself as a guy, I don't think you are transgendered~
    I'm not the most experienced in this area, though, so I'm not sure xD Just my thoughts~ xD

13. Lotty

Thanks, Lex!!!
    I also looked around on wikipedia, and I found 'Androgyny'. Come to think of it, I heard of that before.

For humans, an androgyne in terms of gender identity, is a person who does not fit cleanly into the typical masculine and feminine gender roles of their society. They may also use the term ambigender to describe themselves. Many androgynes identify as being mentally "between" woman and man, or as entirely genderless. They may identify as non-gendered, genderneutral, agendered, between genders, intergendered, pangender or gender fluid.

I guess it might be something like that, or what you said. Anyway, it doesn't really matter what it is, but you certainly helped me alot.
    Thanks, Lex!!!

14. Callie

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
  15. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

16. roborama

it sounds as if youre some sort of genderqueer (around here its not offensive at least) but whatever you decide for yourself and feels right is what you should go with

17. StarofMiyu

Haha you aren't transsexual if you don't feel completely misplaced in your body like I do xD

18. Steam Giant

Yeah, it sounds like you're genderqueer to me as well. It's not an offensive tag, but it's not one that people really use, either. But if you're looking for a word for it, there you go :slight_smile:

Of course, words are just words. It can be comforting to know that enough people are like you that there's a special word for it, but in the end, what matters is simply that you know yourself and are comfortable with yourself.

19. TheRoof

I completely understan what u r feeling. I'm exactly same as you except I want to be, And feel more comfortable with being girly and feminine. it's just who I am as a person. I relate so well with females but have hard times figuring out how to deal with guys beyond acquaintance levels. but anyway I was just as confused as you are, but I guess other people have suggested, we might be genderqueer. but I think the important thing is tontry not to label or restrict ourselves, but just accept who we r as person. sometimes I have hard time with it. sometimes I'm perfectly fine with it. but yea just know that u are not alone in feeling this way:slight_smile: we're born this way!

20. SMiNKLe

Out Status:
    All but family
    For one thing, society has made these weird rules about what a girl or boy "should" be like, so when people say you react "like a guy" or you're not complicated "like a girl" you should try to push away these messages.

Gender is a spectrum and some people's gender identity changes throughout the day.

There are more identities than just girl, boy, and transgender. There are also neutrois, genderqueer, agender, nongender, genderfluid, gender variant, bigendered, two spirit, androgynous, third gender, and even more! This is the most confusing step - trying to fit a label to yourself. You could spend years searching for who you are or the right words to define you. Just as the word transgender wasn't known for a while, your gender may not even have a name in the LGBTQ community yet! People are always coming up with new ways to define themselves in the best ways possible, then educating others on what they mean. A great example is the gender-neutral pronouns. There are so many and people are always coming up with new ones and some people prefer certain pronouns to others. In my opinion, if you can't find the right words for yourself, just accept that and live your life as you want to be - maybe even making up your own vocabulary! :slight_smile: