1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Thanks dad!

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by katmando, Nov 5, 2007.

1. katmando

You know in the last 10 years I have not had much of a life. A good portion of it was just me hiding out in my apartment.

Well, I went to my dad's cabin out of state for his big 60th birthday. I brought Greg Louganis book with me. I left it out and I saw my dad take it his room. At that point I got a great sense of relief because he truly was interested in understanding what it means to be gay and the struggle

On the car ride home, he asked me if he could borrow it. He said he is interested in learning more on the subject.

He also said to me, didn't Greg when a bunch of Gold medals??. I said yeah. He said Greg is really a handsome guy. I said, Yeah, he is :slight_smile:

When I got home I decided to call the gay support group. Something I should of done 10 years ago. The lady who runs it just called back and left a message on my machine. She could not of been nicer. I am going to my first meeting next week.

Oh yeah, and thanks Louise for believing me in me, asl well as everyone else

Justin :thumbsup:

2. Sam

Sam

Wow thats great Justin! I'm glad that your dad has taken some interest.

3. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    That is wonderful! I'm very proud of your Dad and YOU!

4. panda

Good Stuff Justin.!!!

5. Urman

Urman Guest

thats awesome

6. Jim1454

That's a great story! I hope you enjoy the meeting.

7. katmando

I think I want to add a few things to that. I told my dad that being gay bothers me and I told him I am always worried what other people think. He said to me WHY??

He said the world is a lot different place now and no one really cares. He also said I am not the center of everyones attention either(that's true to :wink: I told him when you are gay you just fear not being excepted.

I told him that Greg lost almost all his sponsors when he came out. I said the only person that kept him was Speedos. I really can not repeat here what my dad said about the sponors who dropped them, but he said Speedo did the right thing and GOOD FOR THEM(and he said it like he meant it)

Growing up my dad was a little rough around the edges, he is still at times. But I can forgive anything that happened as a child, because he cares a lot now and it means a lot to me!

Sometimes I think my dad doesn't even know what to say, and he told me maybe he was being selfish, but he said he was thinking about Vegas and how they are buliding it up to be more and more to be gay friendly. He said maybe you would just like to go and visit there. Not sure why he thought that comment was selfish though.

My dad recently retired and did pretty well as a businessman. His personal life was filled with a lot of struggles. He told me on the trip that he wants me to have money $$ and be comfortable so I can go out and do fun things, and travel.

I also got the place I use to volunteer at and left a voice mail with the manager who is very nice and hoping that I can get some part or full time work. Its an animal shelter.

I still struggle with OCD(obsessive compulsive disorder) and my sexuality quite a bit and probably will for some time, but at least I am turning the corner some.
    Justin

#7 katmando, Nov 6, 2007
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2007
  8. TriBi

:thumbsup: Well done! :eusa_clap

Sounds like things are looking up - and if you start (like your Dad says) feeling better about yourself and your life, I wouldn't be surprised if your OCD problems begin to diminish as well.

9. Louise

I know I PM'd you but that was before I read this post. You have made me cry... tears of happiness.

I am SOOOooo happy for you.

You really are turning that corner (!) (!) (!) (!) (!)