1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

This isn't good...

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Lolguy, May 15, 2011.

1. Lolguy

I told a bunch of people a couple of months ago that I'm gay. This includes close friends and parents. Well, one "friend" didn't take it too well and, to put it bluntly, called me a "stupid faggot." I didn't really care at the time, except for the fact that he would tell other people whom didn't need to be told.

Fast forward to last week. Everything has been fine and I haven't spoken to this ex-friend of mine since I told him about me. Everything is going well, and then I start getting text messages. I won't go into too much detail about them, but they basically harass me for being gay and such. That didn't bug me too much-I figured it would eventually happen-but then a group of people started harassing me at school. It started out with hateful glares, and has now escalated into obscene insults.

Honestly, it's starting to bug me more and more. I attempted suicide a couple of years ago because of bullying and family issues, and I don't want to attempt it again, especially for just a few bullies. But I'm starting to get a little more depressed day by day, and everything is getting shittier day by day.

Any advice or help?

2. biangel

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd report them. Talk to a counselor or the principle. Your school should have resources to prevent bullying, especially if it's been a problem in the past. If things get too bad, change schools, block them from your email/phone. Don't be afraid to report them to the police if they threaten you with danger. You don't have to take this. Hang in there and be safe. The best way to deal with shit like that emotionally is to talk it out with someone who can help you deal with the emotions, but make sure that you are physically safe too.

3. joshhunt

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just hang in there.

I know it might be tough to understand (and it might now doesn't help now), but it gets better. Try your hardest to ignore it and don't let it get to you.

Second of all, talk to someone. If this is happening at school, talk to a teacher. When I was in year 11 my brother (in year 7) was getting bullied because I was gay, which then got to me so much. I had experienced the bullying and I had gotten through that, but I could just not handle putting my brother through that, so I talked to my Art teacher. So go find a teacher (or someone else) who you connect to and is nice and you think they genuinely care, and just tell them everything. I was bawling my eyes out to my teacher haha, but it did make me feel better, and then she went of and addressed the problem.

And then as others have said, if it gets too much, contact the police, change your phone number and other stuff.

4. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

Harrington is never ok.
    And though you say that it doesn't bother you, why is it causing you to be depressed. You need to address your feelings sir. Its probable to say that you are numb, and that all feelings are manifesting themselves negatively because you have no other way of manifestation. You need to find somewhere where you can. Art class, sports, writing, or something to channel emotional energy. Further more, you need to see a therapist. Not necessarily someone who will try to prescribe you everything under the sun either, but someone to help you confront your own demons in a safe environment.

As for the bullying, my next step would be to go to someone. Obscene slurs are hate speech no matter what you want to call it, and your school is required to provide a safe environment for everyone. And at this point, its also probable to guess that most of the school knows that your gay. It only takes a few jerks to spread a rumor, and by the way high schools work, most of everyone else will know. Try and find the gsa at your school, and there you will find people who can give you the love and support you deserve.

I hope this helps. If you need personal advice feel free to message me, and we can talk.

5. Lolguy

Thanks for the help everyone. I mean it, really. I'll certainly talk to a guidance councellor and the principal about these things.

And yeah, Ty, it would be safe to assume that most of the school knows, because they do. No turning back now I suppose.

6. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

I think I meant to say harassment, not Harrington. Stupid auto correct

And thats good, one thing think I think separates you from someone likely to commit suicide is that you are willing to admit that you need help. Your getting better each time you talk about it. Lean into the discomfort.

7. bryan176

If they are indeed "Harassing you" then you can bring them up on harassment charges. I did to this one person I though i could call friend and we had to go back in ourder for me to out a restraining order on him. If it comes down to this don't be afraid to do this. I would only recommend this as a last possible resort.!

8. ArcaneVerse

Seriously isn't a bad idea. Are your parents supportive of you and your sexuality? Because when my brother was in school he was being harassed by this one kid and the school\teachers weren't doing anything about it so my parents called a meeting with the principal and the kids parents and threatened to sue the school and the parents if something wasn't done about it. Didn't have any problems after that.

9. Eleanor Rigby

First, I am sorry you have to go through this (*hug*) (*hug*)
    Second, bullying is NOT ok !
    You have to stand up for youself. Taking a low profile attitude never works with bullies. The more they think they scare you, the worse it'll become.
    You're harrased through text messages ? Keep them on your cell phone and report them to the police.
    You're bullied at school ? Go to your school counselor immediatly and report the guys who are harrassing you. If that doesn't stop, go to the police and report them as well.
    Don't stay alone with this : let your friends know, let your parents know, let your teachers know, let your school counselor and school principal know. Get on board as many people as you can.
    If you're threatned at school or in any public place, don't be scared to answer back and be vocal about it. It will catch other people's attention and hopefully, other people will react too.
    I wish you courage and good luck. Let us know how things are going.
    Take care, Cécile

10. Chierro

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Lolguy, the same thing nearly happened to me last week. Bt i 'squashed' it with help from my guidance counselor. Go down to see her/him tell them your problems, show the texts, it may help or induce bullying but if the bullying is induced you have the guidance counselors and principal on your side

11. Lolguy

Talked to the guidance counselor today. She made it clear that "this behavior is not tolerated here" and said that she would make sure appropriate action was taken. I'm still waiting to see what that action is, but thanks for all of the advice. It really did help.

12. ArcaneVerse

Glad to hear things seem to be getting sorted, hope things work out and start to improve soon. Keep us updated =D.