1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ready to come out, How do I start?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by theWorldisYours, May 17, 2011.

1. theWorldisYours

Ok so, durring the past few months I've become comfortable with my sexuality and I'm ready to come out and live my life. The question I have is how do I go about brining up the topic in conversation?

I was planning on coming out in the following order:
    Best friend
    Sister
    Mom
    The rest of my friends.

I'm planning on telling the rest of my friends last because I want my family to find out the right way, as opposed to the news getting back to them without me telling the first. I think telling my best friend will be easy, but I'm kind of scared to tell the rest of the people on my list. Someone please give me some advice :confused:

2. Neo1979

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The fact that you think telling your best freind will be easy sounds like a good person to start with. Hopefully their reaction will be great and give you confidence to tell others. Your sister hopefully will be supportive- does she have any gay or lesbian freinds? that is always a good sign. Does your mum have any kind of clue? she may already have some suspicions, I know mine did. Telling people face to face is very daunting, if you cannot do that then i found sending an e-mail is good as it allows you to capture all your thoughts and allows the reader to absorb everything before replying wherease face to face sometimes the responder can find it difficult to know what to say, an e-mail can mean that they have to time to think about their response.
    Do you think your mom and sister will be supportive? i hope so
    best of luck

3. TyRawr

Board Member Full Member

You ask were to start?
    Well sir, I think you have done a fantastic job simply by joining EC, welcome.
    When coming out, depending on the person, it should be dealt with rather delicatly. Treat the topic as you want to be treated, seriously. Address to your friends, and family, that you need to tell them something really important, and you would like their support. Doing that in its own will help give you the confidence to come out.

Take your time though, only go as fast as you feel necessary. Its not going to be comfortable regardless, but for each person you come out to it gives you to confidence to be yourself more and more each day.

4. theWorldisYours

Thanks so far guys!

I should probably add, that after I come out to my mom and sister, I'm going to want to tell my ex-grildfriend before the rest of my friends, just so I tell her before she hears it from someone else. I'm expecting this to go well, or horrible wrong. She was my first and vice versa, so I can see where this can get emotionally messy.

5. bryan176

i do not think you need help coming out you have a solid plan in place. i think you just need to word it right. i wish you the best of luck.

6. Raeil

Well first off, welcome to EC! We're glad to have you here!

I'd like to say that your plan looks great! It appears you've ordered it based on who means most to you/who will be easiest to tell, which is definitely one of the best ways to do it. Coming out face-to-face is extremely nerve-wracking, but I feel that this is the best way to start, especially if you know your best friend will support you. As others have suggested, if you're uncomfortable coming out face-to-face with everyone, an email or a note works really well, as you're able to express what you feel without any slipups.

Now your ex, that could be tricky. Honestly, it would be in your best interest there to prepare for the worst. I don't think she'll be too upset, especially if your relationship wasn't too long, but be prepared.

Good luck, and be prepared to feel fantastic! Every person you tell takes a huge weight off of your shoulders, trust me!

7. borntosurvive

The first person I came out to was my best friend. I cried. Then my other best friend. I cried. Then my parents. I cried. Then my other best friend. I cried. That's pretty much my progress so far.

Good luck!

8. alexi12

alexi12 Guest

After you tell the first people (the more important people to yourself). You don't need to try too hard for it to spread necessarily. Just stop denying, and don't make a special effort to hide it. If something comes up in conversation, relate to it as an out of the closet person would (or how you would). But the closer people in your life probably would perfer a more individual notification.

Good luck!