1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joint-Enrollment

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by Perrygay, Nov 7, 2007.

1. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

I'm a junior in high school this year, but because I qualify as "exceptionally gifted" I'm on an advanced track. Basically, I started high school taking sophmore/junior classes. And after this year is over, the only class I have left to take my senior year is a math class.

Because I have never been in classes with people my age, most of my friends are a year ahead of me, so most of them are going away to college next year. And not only are my bestfriends graduating this year, I'm already over high school. Lol, I'm a junior with senioritis.

So today I was in lunch and the local community college was in the cafeteria talking to seniors (mainly with people who didn't qualify for a university). But my friends and I got bored and we went to go talk with the people at the table. I told a representative about my situation, and she said I would be a perfect candidate for joint-enrollment. But even with all of the information she gave me, I'm not sure if it would just be better for me to take AP classes next year in high school.

Anyway, is there anyone who has joint-enrolled in a college while still in high school? Or anyone who might be able to offer me some advice?

Edit: I forgot to ad that the state of Georgia covers the tuiton and book/lab costs, so cost isn't an issue.

#1 Perrygay, Nov 7, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 7, 2007
  2. Jamie

Drammen, Norway (from England originally).
    sorry Perry, just wondering if you could tell us what a joint-enrolment is? Enrolling at both high school and college?

3. Bryan

Well, If you are planning on going to community college, It may be a nice idea, but if you are looking at the 4 year undergrad plan, you should stay in HS and take a bunch of APs. This way, you will be able to get in to alot better schools for four years of college. Colleges will also offer you merit scholarships if your high school transcript looks really good, so this may open a lot of doors. So, unless you are planning on going to community college, try to stick it out for another year.

4. Perrygay

Perrygay Guest

Joint-enrollment is when a high school student attends high school and college at the same. It's usually done by seniors who don't want to take AP in high school and would rather get college experience.

5. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    If money isn't an option, and it's the college experience you are yearning for then I say go for it!

6. Sam

Sam

Doesn't cost anything? DO IT!!! seriously use time to your advantage if you can get some college classes over with now then it will be less you have to take later. By the time you graduate you will have a lot of your hours completed and be done faster and you will be younger I will be about 26-27 when I'm done and that sucks so just do it, its free so use it to your advantage and then you can just go to any college that accepts you just need to make sure that you take classes that are transferable to the college you choose after high school.

7. Zorn

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Do it! If you can do it, hell yeah. I have the option, I just need transportation. I'll be heartbroken if I can't do it.

8. Miaplacidus

Montevideo, Uruguay / Buenos Aires, Argentina
    Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wish that was possible in Uruguay... but it isn't. I'd be a year ahead, most likely, if it was possible.

However, Uruguayan education is quite rigid.

9. Hydrogen

Depends --

I would ask the counselors at the collages you are going to apply to, what they would prefer in an applicant. AP classes, or some collage credits (assuming a good GPA)