1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What to do?

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by glasgowlad, May 21, 2011.

1. glasgowlad

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi folks!
    Well the prob is my family are not the most supportive, hence still in closit. I've met a guy that's gay and we've been chattin an textin. He's no just after one thing! But I'm worried that because no one else really knows about me that I'm always gonna be lying about where I am what I'm doin.
    Im not worried about being seen with him just say he's a mate! The main thing I'm worried about is me having to hide everything, and I'm worried that it's gonna cause problems if a proper relationship starts he says it's cool and we will be ok!
    I just feel I can't tell my family, they have shunned my uncle and I can't get in contact with him as I don't know where he stays now.
    Guy I'm chattin with is out to his friends and family and stays about 10 mins away from me, totally sweet and genuine, met up and had a coffee wasn't after just one thing! He's sweet cute and funny. I wanna get to know him and see where things go but I just can't come out justnow and I don't wanna loose a chance with him because of that.

I kno that prob sounds crazy people just say tell ur folks but it's really no as simple as that, I honestly dunno what will happen when I tell them

What would you folks do, please help:help:

2. Pepsi

Pepsi Guest

First, welcome to EC! If he says he is fine with it then I say go ahead with the relationship. You seem to really like this guy. You shouldn't let the closet door prevent you from this. Just because you're in the closet doesn't mean you don't deserve a relationship. You don't have to come out. Come out to your family when you feel like you can, for now just enjoy getting to know someone. :slight_smile:

3. bryan176

I would first recommend that you talk to this guy and tell him whats going on and how you feel. NExt it may be good to come out to a close friend and take it from there thats what I did. You need to be sue you come out what you are ready. I would also agree with pepsi if this guy is cool with everything you are going through and wants to continue the relationship then go ahead.

4. borntosurvive

I think that you really need to weigh what would make you happy. It sounds like you've got a really good thing with this guy, and I can understand why you'd want to stay in the closet, but you're going to have to almost compromise with yourself on this issue, and with him too. If you can date and still stay in the closet and be happy then by all means go for it!

5. TheEdend

TheEdend Guest

Welcome to EC! :slight_smile:

Like everyone else said, don't let being in the closet stop you from going after this guy. You are right that you might get some relationship problems for being in the close and thats why you need to tell him that you want to be with him, but that you aren't ready to come out to your family. If thats okay with him, then go for it.

Now, I think you might have to also start thinking about starting to come out just because its starting to already bother you and the worrying will just get worse as the relationship gets more serious.

You don't have to come out to your family first, but maybe you could start coming out to your best friend and then work your way up to your family. That way, once you get to the time to tell your family, you have a support network behind you to make it easier for you.

Good luck! :slight_smile: