1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Coming Out via IM

Discussion in 'Coming Out Advice' started by gayinva, Nov 7, 2007.

1. gayinva

I'm currently away at college, I'm thinking about coming out to my sister over instant messenger. I think this would be easier than doing it in person. My parents were fairly cool with it (although its still a little taboo). What do you guys think?

2. biisme

i think that if u want to and u are ready, u should go for it!

3. Bryan

I told my best friend over IM, I sort of regret it, and wish I was on the phone to tell her. But, hey, whatever floats your boat, I dont think it will affect her reaction.

4. Torture

Torture Guest

Agree'd.

5. Tim C

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I would suggest an email rather than IM. An email can be far more detailed and can express the depth of feelings you might be having. It also would give her a chance to adjust to it a bit with you before she responds.

6. Latinokid

Latinokid Guest

I came out to all my close friends over AIM and they took it well youll get alot of the "Are you joking?, r u realy gay?, really????????" lol but yeah and when u see them theyll be more encouraging and stuff.

7. nisomer

I've regretted coming out over IM to two people. If you do it, I highly suggest calling her afterwards.

8. Davo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I came out to my best friend via text. It's really painful stuff, you end up waiting and waiting and waiting for a reply. In the end i had to come out to someone else, who then forced my friend to talk to me.

While it's certainly easier to come out this way, I do really wish I'd done it face to face, you sort of need to for these sort of things, it's just difficult to find the right moment.

9. xxAngelOnFirexx

i came out to my best friend (she's like a sister to me) over IM. it went great, and hilarious. i just randomly IMed her "i'm gay". at first she thought i was joking then she was like 'wow'. later we discused it in person but i think if who you're coming out to has that kinda personality where it is safe to say then go ahead.

10. gayinva

Thanks to everyone who responded. I think I'm going to tell her in person next time I go home, but I'm definitely coming out to my homophobic friend over IM, there's no way I could tell him in person or even over the phone.

11. Tom

Tom Guest

i preferred to come out in person, tht way u can see the reactions wich shows more about how they feel than anythin they would type and its more personal tht way i think.

12. SpikySpice

Yeah I agree, since it is easy and not face to face

My friends came out to their families through emails and were very successful
    Good luck :slight_smile: